Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

staff pitbulls

hyas
i was jus wondering do any of yous have staffs cuz im really worried
we got a staff pitbull she only 6 months but shes very protective of
me shes not a vicious dog but im afraid she mite turn wen the baby
cums you here bout all these horrible stories
my oh thinks shell be fne but i dont wna take that chance??

any advice??
carina 37wks

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun, I love dogs and have always had at least one. but when my son was born (4yrs ago) I didnt want to take any chances with my much loved Weimaranner as he had always been my 'baby'. I bought a stair gate and put it in the kitchen doorway. So when he was in, he was confined to the kitchen. I really and truly believe that you cannot trust ANY dog 100%. No body can ever get inside their minds and see how they view the world. I dont believe in 'dumping' a pet just because a baby appears on the scene, but I do think you need to be sensible, and EXTRA vigilant. NEVER leave the dog alone with you bub, and consider fitting stair gates to make sure she cant get near the baby by accident when your back is turned. Some may say its overkill, but the clock can never be turned back. xx
  • Options
    I am having to have one of our dogs (collie x doberman) rehomed as he is extremely jealous of Violet (now 1) and I thought it would get better but it has got worse and worse - he jumps stairgates, urinates on her things, and is petrifield of her so I just cannot risk it any longer especially as my 4th is due in 2 weeks. He is my hubby's dog and was fine with my 2 older children and was always such a lovely dog! He has started to rip up new baby's nappies etc so I can no longer take the risk with him. I have done everything I can, had special training etc but on a daily basis he starts something else - this week it was running away and now pooing in the house and I have to admit defeat. Sorry for those of you who dont agree with getting rid of a dog, but I am at my wits end and broke down at the vets and she said that there really is no alternative - rehoming or being put down. I have found a great place for him and he goes on Wednesday. My chocolate lab is fine and Violet adores her, but I still wouldn't leave her alone with Violet!
  • Options
    i have bred and trained dogs for over 15 yrs, and through experience both personal and professional a dog should never under any circumstances be left alone with any baby or small child at any time, it has nothing to do with 'how they are brought up' a dog is an animal and can react very suddenly for 'no apparent reason' in my opinion its just not worth the risk,
  • Options
    my mil has a staff, and she is now great with my son who is 2. BUt she wasnt always so great, used to get very jealous when he was a baby, She didnt like it when my oh used to hold our son, and still doesnt like it. Think that was a jealousy thing. They get on great now though, and love to run round the garden after each other, and my son always sneaks food under the table for her!! LOL
  • Options
    I have 2 staffs, a male and a bitch and although they are my babies and are great natured and are fab with my nieces and nephews (aged btweeen 9 and 18) i wont be taking any chances. I wouldn't ever leave them alone with lo (we have stairgates already in our flat as we don't like the dogs roaming about the flat as they tend to go and eat the cats food!!) So everytime i leave a room i will leave lo (when he comes!)and take the dogs with me and lock them out it until i return to the room. I figure if i take the dogs instead of lo then they will get less jealous as they won't think they are missing out!!!!

I agree though that how a dog is brought up does shape its nature alot, (and staffies are nicknamed the nanny dog as they are typically good with kids) but as someone pointed out, they are still animals that have basic instincts (no matter how domesticated) and have the capacity to do a lot of damage.

Suzi 27+4 xxxx
  • Options
    I have a girl staff whos got a fantastic temprement. She loves kids and plays really well with my friends 1 year old who actually bit dog the other day to only receive a lick in return. Shes soft as anything and I think will when babys older they will be best friends. I will however never leave baby alone with dog ever, I dont think she would hurt her intentionally in a million years but would never take that risk.
  • Options
    I wouldn't risk it! you have only had the dog 6 months, i'm sure you love her very much and it would be hard for you to let her go but baby comes first!
    I had a jack russell a few years ago (i know their yampy things anyway but..) he was very protective of me and me hubby were messing around one day and he just went for my husband! he didn't bite him he was just letting him know then he stood guard over me and hubby couldn't come near me!
    Think if that was your baby, that you couln't even pick up your baby with worrying!
    I had to give up my dog, not because of my baby for other reasons but it was hard but was the right decision and i got over it!
    I'm not telling you to get rid of her but just think about it carefully and what you want life to be like when baba is here!

Good luck
    xxx
  • Options
    hya girlies i nva tot of a stairgate i really dont want to giv her away i tink ill try the gates 1st c how day go thanks!
  • Options
    Can I ask why you think she is a pitbull? they are quite different to a staffy - how tall is she? (from withers to toes?) her nose colour? distance between her last rib and back leg? (more than 2 inches), long pump action shaped tail?, colour of coat? (none of these things mean 100% pit but together make a'type')

Good luck
  • Options
    shes bou 2 foot her nose is brown bo 3inchs and she has a small tail her coat is dark brown??
  • Options
    ive got a springer who is very protective of me and my partrner. ive bought some PJs for our baby to wear once hes born, which i will bring home for our dog to sniff so she gets used to the smell of baby before he arrives home so it isnt such a shock for her. Although i trust her, i would never leave her alone with our baby once hes here, we have stairgates everywhere downstairs, as they are not called springers for no reason! she is very disciplined, so maybe try some puppy training or basic "sit, stay, no" commands at home so you have a general understanding with your dog and it knows who the boss is. staffys are head strong, and need to know who master is. if push comes to shove, your babys health and safety is top of the priority list, and altho it would break my heart to see my dog go, i couldnt live with myself if she ever hurt our son. if you need any hints or help on doggie discipline, let me know as i used to be a vet nurse and i could give you a few pointers to start with.... good luck !
  • Options
    see cuz we only have her 6 months she barely nows her own name she does sit wen shes told but dats it and shes always growls wen some1 cums into the room and doesnt pet her dat has me most affraid she nows wen shes getin attension and doesnt like not getting any!!
  • Options
    hi i have a staffie! she is really stupid and it is in a staffies nature to want attention! ours goes straight on her back for a belly rub and all visitors have to do this else she will not stop pestering them!! any dog can be nasty it all depends on there up bringing! staffies and pitbulls were breed for fighting other dogs NOT attacking people! its only if they get in the wrong hands they become agressive! our staff is submissive with other dogs as well so they cannot be stereotyped! the growling can be delt with with training if she growls put her out of the room untill she stops then give her attention she will soon learn that growling gets her no where!! all dogs are trainable even the thick ones lol!! good luck!!xxx