Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Possible Placental Failure

I just had an ultrasound yesterday to check the baby's size, etc. and we were told that the baby was in the 9th percentile. At our last scan, the baby was in the 14th percentile, so the MFM (high risk OB), told us this was a little concerning. I have to go back in two weeks to get another scan to make sure the baby doesn't drop below 9, and if she does then I will need to be induced because they will consider this placental failure. I am 28 weeks (as of yesterday), so I will only be 30 weeks at that point!

I called my MFM this morning and left a message, so hopefully she'll get back to us before the weekend, we are so nervous. Has anyone else had this happen (anyone who's had baby's) and ended up with a good outcome? Any moms deliver there baby's this early and everything turn out okay?

(p.s. I wrote this in my due date group also, so sorry for the double posting)

Replies

• Options
    I haven't got any previous experience but am also due to have extra growth scans starting in a couple of weeks.

What was the reasons for you having growth scans?

Are they giving you any steroid injections at all?

I have my fingers crossed for you that you get your phone call before the weekend and that baby's size starts picking up! I guess there is nothing you can do to improve the growth?
  • Options
    @MrsD90, I was told at my 22 week scan that I have Marginal Placental Cord Insertion, which can limit the amount of nutrients going to the baby. This is why they are doing bi-weekly scans (started at 26 weeks).

They haven't given me any steroid injections yet, as it can mess with my blood sugars (I'm type 1 diabetic), so they told me they'll only give me the shots if they need to in two weeks.

I asked them if I could increase the food I eat, or add extra protein, limit the amount of walking I do, etc., but they told me that it has nothing to do with what I eat or the exercise I get and it's just the fact that my placenta isn't working properly.
  • Options
    It's good that they are keeping a close watch over you but I know that doesnt help the worrying! 

I really hope someone can come along and give you some first hand experience soon. Looking on the Tommy's website it gives an 89% survival rate for babies born at 27 weeks and you'll be 3 weeks ahead of that in the worst case. 

How are baby's movements? Try and find some positives to focus on in this frightfully worrying time (mighty hard I know!)
  • Options
    The MFM we saw yesterday, told us that she's delivered baby's at 25 weeks who have gone on to live a very healthy life, so she's not worried at all about delivering one at 30 weeks (although, it will be premature and in the NICU).

Baby moves ALL the time, so that is quite reassuring. Although, now when I don't feel movements for an hour or two I start to panic. It's just very nerve-wracking.
  • Options
    Hi hopefullymama2019. It's good they are keeping a close eye on you. If and when they decide to deliver you will get the steroid injection in the thigh its 2 injections 12 hours apart it will help babies lungs. Ask you midwife if you can go see NICU so you can see where your little one will go once delivered it might help you. 30 weeks is early but modern medicine is amazing. You can buy small babygrows and if you know anybody who knits get them do make you some small hats x
  • Options
    @Roberts77, thank you for your reply and advice! That's a great idea. It helps that my husband's cousin is the head nurse in the NICU, so at least we know someone there.
  • Options
    Sending you all my love and hope everything goes ok for you x
  • Options
    How have things been going @hopefulmama2019? Hope everything's going ok!
  • Options
    @MrsD90, I have my follow up appointment this Thursday, so we're hoping for good news. Thanks for following up 😊 I'll let you girls know after our appointment. Hope you had a happy Easter!
  • Options
    Hope it's been a positive day @hopefulmama2019
  • Options
    Hey girls, it's been a week.

Went into the hospital Tuesday due to vomitting constantly since saturday, was diagnosed on Wednesday evening with "severe morning sickness".

Today the scan showed that the baby is now in the 5th percentile 😢 the OB told me they're going to wait two more weeks since I was so sick for 5 days. I see my OB on Monday, so I hope she says the same thing as the OB we saw today. I know last time she said as long as the baby doesn't fall off the curve, she will be okay with no induction, but now the baby has fallen off the curve. Just crossing my fingers and toes for Monday's appointment.
  • Options
    Oh no what terrible timing for the severe morning sickness! Is there any positive to come from the morning sickness in the fact that your hormones are alive and kicking?
    Sorry to hear that the scan didnt go as hoped but they must be happy enough to leave it another 2 weeks. Does that then take you to 32 weeks? Did they mention anything about steroids?
    Are you still feeling your regular movements for reassurance?
  • Options
    Baby has been super active since about 22 weeks, so that has been the most reassuring. Its also one of the reasons they're letting me wait another two weeks.
    The bad thing about the morning sickness is even less nutrients are getting to the baby now, so that's a little nerve-wracking. I will be 32 weeks exactly in two weeks, so at least I've made it way past the 24 week viability by then. 
    They didn't say much about anything, but I see my MFM/OB this Monday so I will have a list of questions for her, haha. I have seen many T1 diabetic moms have their babies at 28-34 weeks due to pre-eclampsia, etc., so that's somewhat reassuring, but they've almost all had big babies. Just hoping for a healthy baby and not a whole lot of time in the NICU. 🤞
  • Options
    Hi I’ve not had the problems you are experiencing however I have had a few premature deliveries. I had twins at 31 week and had my daughter at 28 weeks ( spontaneous labours with both) all my children are health and have no problems. They all weighed in at around 2lbs. It is frightening but honestly the care they can give to babies is out of this world nowadays. My twins are now 9 and my daughter is 3 😊
  • Options
    @Nikkinarno, thank you so much! This is so reassuring. I don't think I slept for even an hour last night because I was stressing out, but this really helps. <3
  • Options
    Easier said than done but try not to stress yourself and get a good night sleep and nap during day.... Hope everything will be good for you and your baby will be safe and healthy.
    Think we have same due date (or really clos to each other) and I am having some troubles with pregnancy so I been told just take every single day as a good step forward. Even one day In the womb make big difference x
  • Options
    @Sigsauer, thanks for your comment. Pregnancy is not like they show you in the movies 😂 this has been the most stressful 7 months of my life, but at least even if I had to give birth tomorrow, the baby would be okay. Every time the baby moves I'm just thankful it's a healthy (yet very small) baby. 

Wishing you all the best in your pregnancy as well! When was your original due date? Mine is July 4th, but definitely won't make it that far.
  • Options
    Mine is 4th of July but if things will be going as they do now will be early one.
    May be to give you a bit of cheer up I will say,I was preterm myself with low weight,but now I am quite healthy and strong person.
    Our babies will make it,cos they are so loved x
  • Options
    They didn't say much about anything, but I see my MFM/OB this Monday so I will have a list of questions for her, haha. I have seen many T1 diabetic moms have their babies at 28-34 weeks due to pre-eclampsia, etc., so that's somewhat reassuring, but they've almost all had big babies. Just hoping for a healthy baby and not a whole lot of time in the NICU. 🤞
    Any news?
  • Options
    I've been put on bed rest and was told to add at least 300 calories to my diet (through nuts or cheeses, etc.). I go back to the diabetic clinic in two weeks for another scan and then in another two weeks I'll go back to see my MFM/OB. If baby gets any further off the curve then I will be induced immediately. So, I'm really hoping this bed rest helps *crossing my fingers*.