Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sunbeds

does anyone know if its okay to use sunbeds while pregnant? ive read a few things on the net some things say they shouldn't be used and some say there okay to use :S, i haven't been on the sunbed buy the way wanted to check first lol.x

Replies

• Options
    I would not recommend any treatments involving heat as they can raise blood pressure and may cause you to overheat, become exhausted and dehydrated. I did beauty therapy and pregnancy is contra indicated for all treatments as mentioned and this includes massage in first 12 weeks. Use fake tan if your bothered about your colour. X
  • Options
    I agree with u h2ta, I think that much intense heat on your belly is definitely a bad thing. I am an occasional sunbed user so have just been using Dove gradual tanner. You have to be careful with fake tans as your skin can go extra sensitive during pregnancy so u have to be careful that you are not allergic to ones u may have previously been ok with.xxx
  • Options
    don't do it! x
  • Options
    i havent been on the sunbeds was just a general question. i only use fake bake as ive been trained in it so i no its safe to use x
  • Options
    hey guys i was just reading this (never used a sun bed in my life....) but i am going abroad next week!
    will i be ok sun bathing?
    or is that dangerous kuz of over heating my belly ??
    im worried now!
    xx (13+5)
  • Options
    While on holiday in florida I was in the sun all day long but that was walking around, I was well covered with sun tan lotion and a hat. Im not sure long periods lying in the sun would be good as same principal to sunbeds as dehydration or sun stroke could occur. I dont think there has been any tests done on this but I would recommend only short burst in sun and then shade for rest of time.
    at end of day its whatever you feel comfortable with.
    enjoy your holiday

xx
  • Options
    My doctor says NO tanning beds! It can cause a serious birth deffect and or misscarrage from your uterine temp. Rising.
  • Options
    Apparently when you're pregnant you catch the sun more easily. Something to do with the pigmentation in your skin. I know a girl who doesn't really catch the sun so easily, she went abroad at about 4 months and came back really dark! So I suggest you maybe use a higher factor than usual and avoid long spells in the sun xxx
  • Options
    oki dokes thanks guys! we have got factor 50 and i will try and be in and out of the sun!
    xx
  • Options

Folks, I suffer really badly from Psoriasis and I'm 16 weeks pregnant.

I have used a sunbed once for 2 minutes and felt pretty guilty about it. Its a standup one so there is no risk of lying down cutting off bloody vessels, but I do worry about my body temp.

It heats the skin a great deal but you cool quickly once out. Do you reckon that 1 minute on a double strength would be OK? Its that or steroids and the doctors say their OK but only if the 'risk to the baby outweighs the benefit to the mother...I don't to take that chance.

I think UV might be the lesser of two evils???