Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is my 3 yr old overeating?

My 3 yr old son is constantly telling me he is hungry!

He has a varied, healthy diet and has 3 meals a day plus snacks. He's not overweight at all, if anything he's a bit under.

He's more than happy to eat fruit or raw veg, is there such thing as giving him too much of these?

I'm not sure if he's genuinely hungry, or does he want to eat because he's bored?

Replies

• Options

Katherine hi and welcome to MFMimage I'm Rach mum to Tomos 3 and Joseff 22mths. I have the exact same problem,with both my boys. After watching Jo frost showing portion sizes for an 8yr old,I felt bad,my boys eat like 8yr olds,and they are constantly asking for snacks.

They eat large portions,3meals per day,and snack on fruit,lots of fruit,crisps and cheese. I don't think it's boredom with mine,did once wonder if it was a comfort thing,but they have never left a meal because of eating snacks,and yes Jc is a little chubby,but he's not been walking that long. Tom on the other hand is so skinny,you can see his ribs! Yet he eats better than any child I know!

They do run around a lot,very active boys and I think as long as they aren't overweight and still eating lunch and dinner,then it isn't harming them.

I'm just grateful they do eat like they do,many of the mums at local mother and baby groups regularly say how limited their childrens diets are,so I count my blessings (and pay more at the supermarket!!!!)

• Options

Hi,Katherine.

If you know your son's eating a full balanced healthy diet,he isn't over weight,don't worry.Kids tend to eat little and often.I find with mine sometimes they don't seem to eat much sometimes it seems like loads.I'd worry if they were over weight or were eating the wrong things but sounds like your little boy's eating the right things.

• Options
    Thanks both! I've realisedm I'm probably over thinking this and watching Jo Frost taking about portion sizes didn't help! Does anyone know where to get info on portion sizes? Pictures would be helpful.
  • Options
    I'm steering well clear of that!!!! Or I'll be on crash dietimage
  • Options

hi girlies how you doing, i agree with both mummies charlie is 2 and he eats like a horse and he's not overweight. charlie eats 3 meals a day with snacks and sometimes still asks for more food, but dont forget just because they not babies anymore doesnt mean they dont have growth spurts, seems like charlie is on a permanant one lolimage, but katherine i wouldnt worry hunny i'm sure your little man is perfectly fine, yes i watched jo frost to and was shocked at what portion sizes 8 yr olds are meant to have because charlie is pretty much getting the same size as some of them in certain foods.

if however you are still worried etc then maybe have a chat with your hv but sounds to me your little one just has a very healthy appetite image take care x

• Options
    i have the sae problem with my son so its fine to give him a healthy diet just as long as they get excersise x
  • Options

I just went on to the Channel 4 website to get some more info on theJo Frost portion size thing and there isn't any!

Loads of mums had commented on this and asked for more info and Channel 4's response was " We have spoken to the producers and have been informed to tell everybody interested that at the moment they don't have specific guidelines about portion sizes, but if you are interested to find out more would be to contact - Dr Laura McGowan from University College, London. We hope that helps you. Regards, The Channel4.com Team"

It makes me think that it was a poorly researched item just used to fill up the programme!

One mum had put that if her 8 yr old was only eating quarter of a pizza for a meal then he'd be at the Drs!

If anyone's interested the link is: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jo-frost-extreme-parental-guidance/episode-guide/series-1/episode-5

• Options

Boy's thats all I can say!They have hollow legs lol!

I have four children, two of each.  Though my daughter's eat well they do eat much less than my son's, my three year old daughter has suddenly got 'fussy' where my year old son eats nearly twice what she does. Both are normal weight for for their age so I just don't worry about it .

I always said I'd never make an issue about food and it seems to have worked for me. My elder two are Sixteen and eighteen and are normal sized teenages .

Good luck with your little one.