Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

private nursery or nursery attached to school advice please

Hi Ladies

I am trying to decide between the two types of nurserys my lo isn't 3 for another year but I am trying to figure my childcare out when I go back to work after having mat leave for this bubs. Currently lo is at childminders 1 day a week when I am at work but when I go back from this mat leave he will be nearly 3 and ready for nursery so I was thinking a private nursery would be best then baby could go there to and they are open 8-6 and don't have school holidays to cover if he went to nursery attached to a school I would still need my childminder to take and pick him from school so I would be financialy worse off.

But what I wanted to know is are nursery schools more educational then private nursery and are the children brighter and more ready for school????? or is the individual child and the parents that make the difference is still learning through play at that age? I don't know which school he will get in at when he is school age so that doesn't really affect anything.

Opions experiences welcome

Annette xx

Replies

• Options
    Ah, this is a very interesting topic and i'm sure you'll get a few different answers but i'll give you my experience....

My DD started going to a private nursery when she was just over 2yrs old. We actually didn't need it for childcare but felt that she would benefit from the social interaction and so she went 1 day a week, 9am-4pm and then we upped to 2 days a week withnthe same hrs per day. We found a fantastic nursery and she was very happy there and she continued to go until she was 3yrs and 3months. We decided to take her out and put her into the local nursery/preschool attached to the infant school as the private nursery was becoming financiially unviable after the birth of our second child. Now i have to say we had reservations about doing this as she was very happy at the nursery and the staff were lovely etc etc and almost felt cruel changing but it was a necessity.

Anyhoo, all i can say is that the change has definitely worked for us! She LOVES it and has really come on leaps and bounds. The school nursery is obviously in a more school like environment and we think this will give her good preparation for when she starts 'big' school and so the transition will be easier.

She has learnt to read her name since starting there (in Jan) and she goes to the school library once a week to choose a new book. She takes part in assembly and PE and she is just about to go on her first school trip-all things that were not available at her private nursery.

I'm sure if she had stayed at her previous nursey we would still be very happy with her there but for us the move was a good one.

On a childcare note however she can only attend her school nursery in the mornings so it would not cover a full day at work.

I'm sure whichever one you choose to go for it will work for and your LO but we have found the school based nursery a very positive learning and social environment for our DD.

Good luck

• Options
    i'm qualified nursery nurse and also a mother to a 4 year old who is in a private nursery as i'm now at uni. while doing my early education and childcare in college i've been in a number of placements in school and private nurseries and they all follow the same curriculum (curriculum for excellence) so education wise there's not much difference. there r good or bad private nurseries the same with school ones, i would say just research the ones u r interested in and pick the one which is better for u, without thinking privet v school, but more like good v bad. in the nursery my child goes 2 there is a primary teacher employed who spotter that he was interested in learning and sat with him individually and encouraged him, he could write his own name when he was 3 years and 8 months thanks 2 her. they also have music and computer classes, lovely healthy snacks and hot lunches...just see first what the nursery can offer ur child and than make decisionimage good luck a i believe that finding a good nursery is crucial;)
  • Options
    Thank you ladies just re read this as I still haven't made a decision x