Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sharing!

Hello all, 

My son is now 3 1/2 and is not good at sharing. He has just started pre-school and when I asked him what he had done today when I picked him up, he said 'I hit a girl!' When I said 'why?' He said 'because I wanted to play with the toy.' He also pushed a boy on Saturday at a birthday party because he wanted the toy. He has a baby brother who's 8 months old but anytime he picks up one of his toys, he snatches it away. I've do timeout everytime he does it and we play games involving taking turns and make him give everyone a turn but I don't know what else to do.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks. 

Replies

• Options

it's quite normal for a 3.5 yo not to share. however, do not hit him or allow him to see anyone hitting anyone because he might just follow that action to get his way. encourage sharing and praise him whenever he does it. also, teach him how to take turn with friends and little baby brother.

teach him how to 'ask nicely' instead of snatching it away and teach him to put himself in other's shoes. definitely time to start him now. good luck!

• Options

Try to talk to him and explain everything. Doing such things is totally normal at that age, children always have problems with sharing.