Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My three year old wont eat in Restaurants

I have a three year old little boy, he still sits in his highchair and eats his food very well, I am a little worried as it is a real struggle to get him to eat when we are out, we recently went to a restaurant and we ordered our meals(i have two other children aged 10 and 14) we all ate our meals but he would not eat his, its just really stressful!! we are going on holiday soon and I want him to be able to eat anywhere not just at home in his high chair, does anyone suggest anything please? Thanks

Replies

• Options

I haven't got much advice, except that my eldest was like this, he hated eating out, on holiday I tended to do self catering as he would eat away from home as long as it was home cooked.....he just got over it in his own good time! Good luck x x x 

• Options

He should grow out of it in the next couple of years.  However avoid forcing food down or he will resent this and not eat and will become upset.

Have patience and maybe see a doctor with him to see if there's another reason for not eating 

Hope he is ok x

• Options

thanks for the response, he has no problem eating, infact he eats plenty, he just does not eat when he is out of his highchair, he does not even like other highchairs!!!!

• Options
    Tbh I think this is not so bad saves you pennies anyway as one less meal out to pay for. Maybe next time don't order him a meal and if he is hungry put some of yours or your other children's on a plate for him.

A toddler won't ever starve themselves and I'm sure on holiday it would get to the point where he becomes on hungry so he will eat. And I think as others say you stressing or forcing it on him will make he worse.
  • Options
    Oh and I remember that a child's stomach is only ever as big as their fist - I find that most restaurant meals are far too big for children - maybe he is daunted by a large meal I tend to buy one kids meal for both my 4 and 6 year old to share and it's more than enough !
  • Options

hmmm, if only that was the case, he just says no what ever it is when we are out in a restaurant, he just does not like eating anyway except his high chair, I bought him a little table a chair so that he would start to try and eat upto that instead. I have two other children and never had any problem like this! I know he will grow out of it but we are going away soon.

• Options

I suppose you order something separate for him? :-) Maybe you should let him eat with you. Cover it as saying he can have a taste of what you are having. Who knows? It might work :-) 

Good luck!