Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Too old for dummies?

My daughters are 4.5 and 3 and still have dummies. They don't have them all the time, just at bedtime, or when they need comfort,or relaxation. The dentist has said that they have perfect teeth, and there are no other problems because of the dummy. But recently I have been getting lectures from my mother in law about how they are too old, and that I should just bin the dummies. Does anyone else think it is fine, or is it ridiculous and should I just bin them.

Replies

• Options

It's very much a personal choice but maybe better when they go to school not to have Dummies, they shouldnt really need then by that time

• Options

If they take comfort with the dummy I don't see a problem, they're still young. 

• Options

It's personal choice, mine are a similar age and still have their dummies. The only bit of personal advice based on my own mistakes is try and reduce the usage as much as you can with out causing upset as I'm finding it harder and harder as they get older if that makes sense. Don't let the mum in law dictate to you xx