Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I excluded 1 child from my son's nursery when sending out invites but feel I had a good reason

It may sound harsh but I had my reasons. The child is my sister's ex's child (he had her with the woman he left my sister for).

My sister has a 7 year old daughter with her ex (my niece) so this makes this little girl my nieces half sister.

My son turned 3 a month ago and I held a party for him. My son and my nieces little sister go to the same nursery so it's sometimes awkward to say the least. Myself and the little girls mum are always civil and polite with each other for the sake of our kids etc. I really stressed and stressed over the decision not to invite the little girl but decided that it would be awkward to have my sister and her in the same room as emotions run (under stably on my sisters part) high and I didn't want an atmosphere at my son's party.

Obviously the little girls mum has got wind of it and I've heard (from some other mums) that her daughter was upset that she wasn't invited because her sister told her whose party she was going to and who was going to be there. Shes also said that I've tried to run their noses in it by handing out invitations at the nursery door and putting lots of status' up on FB tagging the other mums in it. She seems to think I've taken great delight in gettin one over on her. She doesn't have to read my status updates does she!? Have I been unfair??

Replies

• Options

That is a tough decision, one I am glad I didn't have to make. You have to consider your sister's feelings and also don't want to exclude a child that doesn't understand why she is been excluded. You also don't want to have an unpleasant atmosphere at your child's birthday party. Sjoe, I don't know what I would have done in your shoes.

• Options
    I think you did make the wrong choice, if the little girl who's done nothing wrong was the only one not invited how would that make any child feel? She doesn't know or care about circumstances. That is so wrong sorry! Adults should put their differences aside and stop taking it out on the kids 😑