Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Speech delay in 4 year old

My daughter is 4 and starts school in Sept, but she still only has the ability to say a few words and literally no sentences.

She was diagnosed with Septo Optic Dysplasia, but apparently it doesn't effect her midline brain so her speech delay hasn't been linked to the disorder. It's really hard because no one I know even knows of this disorder and there is such limited information available. All we know is her optic nerve in her left eye didn't form properly so she can't see with it, and that her pituritory gland is way under formed and she needs to have her growth and hormones monitored by the hospital every 6 months.

With her speech delay we've been to SALT for 5 sessions of 'special time therapy' but she really hasn't progressed since being sent on her way. The service is so over stretched she can't be seen again for a while and although I've been doing the few exercises they gave me months ago she still isn't making progress.

I'm literally at my wits end and feel like such a failure as a mom. I constantly feel like there must be something I'm doing wrong and if I change something then she'll begin to progress. I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried being super laid back and not thinking about it and telling myself she'll do it at her own pace, but I can't help but feel like that's the worst thing I could be doing.

Does anyone else have a child with bad speech delay? Or with septo optic dysplasia? At this point I just need any advice.