Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

staff change over at playgroup

My Son started playgroup over a year ago now. He learnt lots of things and the staff and kids were all happy. This term there are a few children about 10 and only 2 staff who are both new. I dont know wether to change playgroups because my son doesn't seem to be learning anything now and his drawing has gone down hill. The playgroup used to be such a happy place and seems quite sombre now. Would you change? He goes to school in september

Replies

• Options
    Hi Andrea
    Have you discussed this with any other mums? Is there a supervisor that you can voice your concerns to ? I personally would change if I thought my child would benefit. Go with your instincts, I would!
  • Options
    Hi Boo and Caroline31
    He wants to stay because he has made friends. What i might do is take him out of the playgroup for 1 day and start him at another one to see how he goes. It's such a shame because last year he made lots and did paintings and drawering which were really good. Now it's just a splodge and a waste of paper.
    Thank you ladies. It's a tough desision and i dont want to scare him as he's quite sensitive to change and doesn't fair very well.
    Andrea
    x
  • Options
    Hi Andrea.
    I guess you need to follow your intuition. Afterall, you know your son best. I would see if anyone else feels the same as you may find other parents in the same boat. Could you volunteer at the playgroup so that you can see what is going on and if possible, initiate some small changes???
  • Options
    Hi Caroline31
    What a excellent idea! i know they have had parent helpers in the past and it would be great to sit in and see what they do. I'm going to inquire in the morning if this is possible. Excellent thanks
    Andrea
    x
  • Options
    Hi Andrea, my friend had exactly the same problem last year. Her daughter loved her pre school, but she felt it was going downhill so therefore moved her daughter to another one. She wasnt happy with the new pre school and neither was the daughter. She decided to move back.
    But, like Caroline suggested, she spok to other parents and found they felt the same. They all called a meeting with the pre school commitee and got it sorted, by letting parents volunteer. By the time her daughter left to start school, she was very happy and glad she spoke up.

Hope you get it sorted
    Kas xx
  • Options
    Thanks Kas
    I've asked to be a parent helper and sit in once a week and they are fine with that. See how it goes then i'll have to make the decision wether he stays or goes somewhere else. I was thinking of one day a week somewhere else but i'll see how me sitting in goes.
    Thanks to you all ladies and i'll let you know how i get on
    Andrea
    x
  • Options
    Well Done Andrea
    I am pleased my suggestions were of some use to you!!!! Keep us informed!

Caroline
  • Options
    Thats great news Andrea, let us know how it goes.
    Good one Caroline, good suggestions!!
  • Options
    Hi Ladies
    Well i stayed at my sons playgroup yesterday morning and i'm glad i did because they are a happy little group from what i saw. There was also a council official there too doing what she was doing. But the kids where very happy and having lots of fun making things and painting.They even practised there carols for the carol service that they are doing mid december. How sweet was that when i saw my son singing. I think he'll be stopping their until the summer hols now and then it will be Primary School!
    Thank you ladies for suggesting that i go and it in. I'm now a helper once a week now.
    Andrea
    xx