Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

HELP!!!

Ok ladies I am at the end of my sanity here:lol:
My dd no'2 now 3 yrs 4months is having MAJOR paddys in the last two weeks.......oh my god it is the most awful thing I have EVER seen, she is soooo angry, kicks, hits, shouts the lot and it can be over something so simple like putting socks on to having a yellow spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has got so bad these last 3 days, it can happen 8/9 times a day.
My other two have never done this, ever. yes they get a strop on but nothing to the scale of dd2 .
So I need your wisdom here as I am at a loss what to do.
I make sure no one is in stricking range, and just let her get on with it, reward charts do not work with her, like they normally do. Nothing calms her not even distractions(which would normally work)
Do I just "ride" the storm and not react at all in the hope it all settles soon and its just a "phase" or do I get the men in white coats and get them to take me away nowimage?
Any suggestions gratefully recieved,
I feel like Ive done it all wrong with her...have I ?????? God this is so trying, I would just love to make sure its not me.....and just a stage they go through(although my other two never did which is why its so hard to get to grips with!!)
Thankxxxxxx:\(

Replies

• Options
    hey babs, my ds who is 3 end of this month (child no 3) is doing exactly the same, in fact it doesn't usually take much to start him off, just a look sometimes!!! he is also headbutting the floor and as we have laminate floor i've had to buy a bean bag to throw underneath him when he assumes the position. i have found that if i make a fuss out of the behaviour it makes him worse, if i ignore him until he has calmed down (sometimes it can take up to an hour...sorry hun) and is talking to me properly, i get a much better response!!! again like you my eldest 2 didn't do this so when these tantrums started one day completely out of the blue (he'd been a very quiet contented little boy until that point!!) i wondered what the hell i'd done wrong!!!! he starts full time nursery in september so i'm hoping to make some headway with him before he goes!!! not much in the way of advice but wanted to let you know ur not the only one going thru it!!!! just hoping now i've had lo no4 that his behaviour doesn't get any worse!!!! hope things with ur dd improve soon Rach xxxxx
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply, the strange thing is she has never had a paddy, strop or snatched or been told off at nursery, they say she is so kind, quiet and keen to share that they have no problems.

The other thing she has been doing is wetting herself and pooing(sorry tmi!) her undies everyfew days.....I always make a point of getting her to go to the toilet every hour or so as I found with all three it helped to have less accidents, but she seems to just ignore the feeling when she needs to really go , have a strop and just do it??!!! shes been dry/clean since 2yrs 3months or so.

I have been racking my brains as to what it could be but she is otherwise so very happy and full of life, its just the paddys and silly toilet accidents that really shocked me these last two weeks.
    I did think its because its the easter hols and her routine isnt really consistant as we go out at different times and do different things but could it really be something that symple??

Sorry to go on I just feel completely frazzled with her.
  • Options
    i think its the change in routine, i find my boys are worse behaved in hols as the day doesnt have the same structure.

I wld personally keep ignoring her (i ignore ds1 but mil gives him treats to quieten him down despite me telling her to ignore him grrr) you cant reason with them when they are like that. im sure when she is back to nursery all will be fine...........................fingers crossed lol

xxDBxx
  • Options
    well i completely ignored her and................it stopped so quick. I even took dd1 out of the room so she was "alone". I will def keep at it, come monday I will be singing from the roof tops lol!!!

thanks xxx
  • Options
    Roll on monday and the sanity returns i am going to set up a campain to abolish school holidays lol
    mine are out of routine so been carrying on, but not to those lengths, ds1 get wissed off with dd and they fight and carry on as he is used to her being at school and not pestering him, he then gets in a paddy and takes it out on james he flamming well burst james eyebrow open the other night as he hit him with his thomas train set in his majesty so hubby told him off and took it off him, he's only bloody 19 months and it just gonna get worse the older they get, motherhood oh what joy lol
    vikki xx
  • Options
    I could never be a teacher!!! god no wonder they need 6 weeks summer holiday, 2 weeks easter break, xmas hols and a few half terms thrown in just to keep them sane lol!!!

I will be very glad for bedtime tonight, which is in about 3/4 of an hour, I may even cheat and get them bathed now, they wont know its a little early lol!!

whoever said being a mum was easy lol!!!:roll:
  • Options
    I know i couldnt be a teacher either, 35 mins til bed for me they are all fed wash and in pj's just counting the minutes lol
    vikki xx
  • Options
    I'm glad things are looking up for you... unfortunatly holidays don't seem to get any easier!!

My dd1 and ds1 are 11 and 10 and are still awful when not at school. My Dd1 seems to need to attentions seek before every holiday. When they start the wind down at school-she starts playing up!!

One year she decided to pretend to be dizzy and feint-so much so the school nearly called an ambulance!!!! When they were about to call me-suddenly all was fine!!!

I think banishing all school hols would be a great idea!! lol!!

xxx
  • Options
    I can't wait till Monday either!! My 2 year old has been dreadful these past few weeks. Shes so wingy, it drives me mad. Shes also having terrible tantrums! And like you say over tiny things like coz Ive given her the wrong spoon or different coloured straw from what she wanted! Its the face she pulls too, its priceless! Where has my sweet little girl gone? Shes turned into a monster! Im hoping nxt week she'll calm down a bit! Id also like to start potty training her but shes not really getting it at the mo, I mite try again when the weather warms up and she can run round outside with no undies on! x
    Roll on Monday then girls x x x x
  • Options
    We only have 2 days to go yay!!
    i bet the weekend will be torcher lol
    I could of throttled ds1 last night put him up to bed and next minute we heard a banging noise so we listened and we was bouncing in his cot shouting at the top of his voice daddy daddy! so i went in gave him a cuddle put him back down tucked him in as he had thrown his bed cover out of the cot and went back down stairs, the same banging could be heard again then he was shouting mammy mammy! the little monkey so we just ignored him thinking he would go to sleep.
    But no he then got louder and louder which then turned into crying and it was an 1hr after he had gone to bed. Hubby went up and got him before he woke the other 2 and when he brought him down his eyes were sparkling and he didnt look tired at all and said with a big grin hiya mammy and laughed the cheecky lil monkey lol
    It was 10 oclock before we got him back into bed, he doesnt want to start this as i need my peace on a night time for my sanity lol
    vikki xx
  • Options
    well bedtime had been and gone, only one paddy so far today, But I am keeping her so busy, we have only been in the house for about an hour so far so she hasnt had much chance to strop off:lol:

Thanks for all your replys, it does make it easyer knowing others have similar stresses in the holidays:roll:
  • Options
    oh and i should add.... mine only started hold on the 10th!!!
    I have them at home till the 27th!!! arrgghhh xx
  • Options
    oh tink poor you!!! I will say good luck as I wish my hols were great but no matter how much I look forward to the holidays they never turn out quite how I plan and by the end I am pulling my hair out and cant wait for it to be over.
    :roll:xxxxxxx
  • Options
    mai has started biteingt her own hand everytime she gets angry n its driving me mental!!! im trying to potty train her as shes 2 n a half shes ready but its really slow going i think the little uns have just declared war lol xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Definately the holidays are to blame, Alex is 3 and is normally a handful but the holidays.....like a tazmanian devil! where do they get the energy from i cant wait till monday and nursery my house needs the break! xxx