Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Negative tests

I should today be 7 weeks pregant. At between 5-6 weeks I experienced light bleeding with a mild stomach ache. Both the Dr & Midwife showed little concern and said that I would not be scanned until 12 weeks. The not knowing has been driving me mad, I'm not sure why this morning but I have done a further 2 pregnancy tests, today they both gave a negative result. I have just called the Midwife to confirm that it seems I am no longer pregnant, but she was too busy to talk & asked that I call back later.
Anyone else had this? Not sure what will happen next as I'm guessing I did not m/c all. Any advice? :cry:

Replies

• Options
    Hi ya pet,

Really sorry to hear about your loss. it may be that as you hormones have settled into pregnancy the tests just aren't picking up on them.

Your midwife sound s a bit useless!! I had a bleed at 10wks and they sent me to hospital straight away for a scan luckily everything was ok but it was really scarey at the time.

Is there an Early Pregnancy Care Unit at your local hospital. If there is I would go over there seeing as your midwife seems to be a BITCH. I wouldn't stand for that sort of treatment! If you have miscarried i would take the matter further as they should have had you checked out in the beginning when you started bleeding! If you go to the EPCU and explain the situation they will get you sorted out. At the end of the day thats what they are there for. EMERGENCIES!! at least then you will know exactly what is going on

Keep me Posted on how your getting on pet. Heart goes out to you!

Jayne xx:\(

Jayne
  • Options
    Thanks Jayne.

I called the midwife back and she basically said that she was sorry to "fob me off" but that as I was not bleeding at the moment, she could not send me for a scan. She told me to speak to my Doctor who would either just say that as I have had 2 negative tests that I have m/c and that would be it, or might arrange a scan. I called the Doctor and have been waiting for nearly 2 hours for him to call back. The midwife said "next time" to call her directly when I get the positive test... I think not!!

This was my first pregnancy and I must say I feel huge disappointment in the medical care. I realise that they deal with this all the time but I thought I would have been treated more like an individual. They don't seem interested in the emotional distress that it causes. I am left feeling worried about what is going on with my body and empty at the thought that I have lost our baby.

I'll see what the Dr has to say and then decide what to do next.

Thanks again. George.
  • Options
    No probs pet, i'll talk to your doc and Midwife if you want. Just send me the Number.
    The treatment that you received is ridiculous and if you have had a miscarraige and you get pregnant again i would seriously suggest that you find a new midwife and doctor.!

Keep me posted on what happens when you see or hear from your doc and i would tell them that you're seriously thinking of complaining and changing practice.

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW YOUR FEELIN PET.

Jayne xx
  • Options
    Thanks again. You have made me feel like I am not making a fuss over nothing, I really appreciate that. Sadly the Dr is not my usual one, the Dr I usually see is lovely and was really kind when we were ttc, making a referral after 6 months. He is on holiday ( 4 weeks!) but I'll be back to see him when he returns. As for the midwife...........:x

Will keep you informed & thanks for making me laugh!

George
  • Options
    No probs, In the mean although it's hard try and keep yourself calm!

Talk to you soon pet.

Jayne xx
  • Options
    No probs, In the mean although it's hard try and keep yourself calm!

Talk to you soon pet.

Jayne xx
  • Options
    Well nothing from the Dr 6 hours later so I called again. A very apologetic Dr, standing in for my usual, called back within a few minutes. Seems I had been "missed". Of course at 1720 on a Friday evening I now can't have a scan until Monday afternoon - so another day off work! Even worse is that this just could not have happened at a worse time. We are having a big party at our house tomorrow night - you can just imagine how much I am in the mood for that!! The Dr said that there is a very slim chance that I am still pregnant but that it looks like I am no longer pregnant. This is what I had guessed already but I am outraged that potentially they would have left me until 12 weeks to find out! The Dr agreed with my complaints about the care I have been given and is passing it on to the Practice Manager for investigation. Should I be lucky enough to get a next time I will certainly have learnt from this experience and will demand everything. As for the midwife, she should be struck off! I think I am now becoming hysterical. Final question - do you reckon it is safe for me to now open that bottle of red? Need something to wash the raw eggs and pate down with!
    George, x
    :cry: :x :\?

[Modified by: George35 on February 16, 2007 05:47 PM]
  • Options
    Hi George

Don't drink the wine, cook the eggs and throw the pate at the Dr!

I'm so sorry for what you have been through, but I wouldn't presume anything until you have that scan. I had bleeding got sent to the early pregnancy clinic hysterical and the receptionist was really cold to me as the on-call Dr shouldn't have just sent me up there, I think those in the profession are just so used to it and its normal to them when for us it's like the worst day of our lives I'd been TTC for ages! They scanned me and all was ok and I'm now 14 weeks, also I tested negative so don't trust the tests they are not reliable.

Let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Thanks Bristol! Great advice re the pate & the Dr. I think the eggs would be better thrown at the Midwife though. I did have 2 positive tests, 1 the day before my period was due and the 2nd on the day it was due. That was nearly 3 weeks ago. Since then I had the bleeding, all has seemed OK for over week, but something this morning made me test. I had expected to get a positive thinking the hormones would still be in my system, but no, 2 negatives! The Dr did say there was a slim chance, but he did repeat slim, and that the most likely situation here was that I was no longer pregnant. Thanks for your encouragement. I'll try to keep away from the wine... very difficult when you are throwing a big party & no longer believe you are pregnant. I just feel like sitting in the corner & drowning my sorrows! Will let you know on Monday what the scan shows. Congratulations on your pregnancy - hope all continues to go OK for you. George.

[Modified by: George35 on February 16, 2007 07:36 PM]
  • Options
    Hi, Really sorry i couldn't reply didn't have any access to net over wkend have been thinking about you pet. I'm glad the doc is taking further action in relation to your care!! Someone needed to.
    What time have you got your scan at today?! Did you open the bottle of red i don't think a glass or two would do you any harm pet.

Get back to me soon pet.

Jayne xx
  • Options
    Hi Jayne. Thank you so much for thinking of me, I really appreciate it. My appointment was at 1345 yesterday although I spent over 2 hours at the hospital. It was an internal scan which I had not been warned about (good old Doctor) and sadly confirmed that I had an early miscarriage. The good news was that it appears to have been complete. The nurse at the hospital was really kind and appalled that my GP/Midwife had been so useless. We had been referred to the hospital as we had been ttc for 9 months without success and the nurse said that this alone should have been enough to make the GP send me to them as soon as I had a concern. They have also said that now that I have had 1 m/c, if I am get pregnant again to call them at 6 weeks and they will do an early scan. As for the GP, I spoke to the Practice Manager yesterday when I collected the paperwork for my scan and will be making an appointment to discuss my concerns. If nothing else perhaps I can help someone else not to have to go through the same ordeal. Thanks again for your support Jayne. Hope all is well with you. George, x
    PS: The red wine last night was great! I woke with a headache.

[Modified by: George35 on February 20, 2007 09:32 AM]
  • Options
    Hi George, I'm so sorry that you've lost your baby. thankfully when i went for my early scan at 10wks it was just an ultrasound. at least you already had a good idea that you'd had a miscarraige so it wouldn't have been too much of a shock for you! (Hopefully) Are you going to try again or has this whole ordeal put you off!! There is good midwives and doctors out there too so hopefully you will find one that can give you the care that you need. Did they offer you any councelling support to help you get over the lose? Was this your first pregnancy?

Things are going really well with me thanks for asking! You fdon't have to be pregnant to use this sight so make sure you keep in touch!

Jayne xx
  • Options
    Hi Jayne. I can't thank you enough for your kindness. I was expecting the bad news so no shock and I feel relief that it was complete. At least now I know and I can get back to some normality. The nurse at the hospital was kind and gave me a leaflet about miscarriage but I feel OK, just a bit sad and disappointed. I will be trying again although the hospital said I should wait for 1 or 2 periods before doing so. I don't want to leave it too long because I am nearly 36 and it took us 9 months to get pregnant this first time! I have learnt some lessons from the experience and if I get a next time I won't stand for any nonsense! I'll keep logging on to the forum and will keep in touch. Really hope all goes well for you Jayne. Take care, George, x
  • Options
    Thanks pet, really glad you're ok. when you start trying again let me know and i'll keep you posted on my progress.

Take it easy pet. Talk to you soon.

Jayne xx
  • Options
    George35

Thank you for letting us know my thoughts are with you. I'm sure you will be in the pregnant forum soon and I will keep an eye out for you.
  • Options
    Hi Shoelady, I'm sorry to hear your news but thanks for the message. I was told to wait for a period to make sure everything has cleared after the m/c but they told me it was complete, and also so I could work out the due date. I'm not sure how important it really is to wait for a period but think the chances of me getting pregnant within the first few weeks are quite slim! I'm not sure what to do for the best! Good luck to you and hope next time it works out for you too.
    Best wishes, George.

PS: Bristol - Many thanks - hope all OK with you.
  • Options
    sorry to invade but i saw this and thought i should add something i m/c at 7 weeks last july and it was a complete m/c and wasn't told to wait so we started trying again and found i was pg within 6 weeks of m/c date this has happened to quite a few people on here and i was later told that you are actually at your most fertile just after m/c, i know i was very lucky but it could happen so keep your hopes up, i only got 11 weeks left and i still expecting something to happen and someone to say no your not pg. good luck .....anita xx
  • Options
    Hi George, sorry to hear what a tough time you have been having. I had a similar experience to Anita, I got pregnant after trying for about 18 months but a had a very early miscarrige (I only found out I was pregnant in the first place when I started to bleed mid cycle), two monthes later I was pregnant again! I had no problems at all and my little girl is now six monthes old. I don't know if it is true but someone told me that a large percentage of women have an early miscarrige the first time that they get pregnant but it normally gets passed of as a late period as it is so early, apparantly it is your bodies way of checking every thing works or something. I know this won't make it any easier for you at the minute but I found it comforting to know that next time things would probably be OK. Thinking of you. Kerry
  • Options
    hi girls hope ur all feeling a little beta wiv everything that has been goin on i too m/c at 6 an half weeks so i was just wondering bedhead that if the theory u say may be true for m/c lost at 6 an half weeks coz is that wot u mean by early m/c or did u mean early as in just a few weeks pg? coz i do find that thoery quite comforting actually and it does give u hope that next time everything we will be fine think i beta start crackin on then with the ttc coz i was goin to wait for my first af but it has been about 6 weeks now an im gettin fed up really wanna get pg again soon gud luck everyone luv em xx
  • Options
    Hi ya haven't been on for a while only have access to the internet when i'm in work at the minute. Hope your all feeling ok. Jaynexx