Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help for a getting Worried Dad

Hello all, I am kinda getting worried. My 2 year has had a cold on and off for over 3 weeks now, he has been to docs and all they are saying is fuids and 48hrs it should be gone, Its not its still present.

He has been back more than twice now and they have finally taken a stool sample for testing, does any one know what they testing for? or is it just a fob off.

My main concerns are, his stools are like water and have been for some time now. he won't eat much, he seems he cannot be bothered but then for a couple of hours wehey he is his usual self no loss of energy self (running on duracell)

Eating seems not existant, refuse even chocolate and crisp treats, when he does eat its like 3 or 4 mouthfulls and thats it "Dont like" or will ask for some thing in toddler talk, watch 1 of us open it then "Don't like"

I know the terrable 2's are coming or started as his mood swings, trantrums etc. But this is upsetting me drastically as he was always a very smiley baby and forward now it seems since the cold started its gone to no smiles, not much play and seems frieghtend. clings to mummy at home but daddy in public.

Can any shed any light.

Cheers in advance.

I am asking here for some advice before docs get me instead of the wife.

Replies

• Options
    Sorry to hear that your lo is no well. I'm afraid i do not know why they would take a stool sample. At a guess maybe this is the first port of call before a blood test which could be upsetting for a lo.
    Keep going to them tho if in your heart you feel that your son really is not well. If he is not eating much then this may be why his poo is runny.
    I know you have probably done this already but have you looked in his mouth? Does he have new teeth coming or a sore mouth that is stopping him eating? My lo aways has a cold and ear infection when new teeth come and he goes of off his food when usually he is a good eater.
    Sorry that i have not been of much help, but please keep us updated on his progress.
    I hope he gets better soon.
  • Options
    Hey,

Ok, the docs are probably testing his stools for an infection/bacterial type problem that can occur in the gut. So its a good thing that they are testing now...better late than never!!!

Im suprised they havent given you some dialorite or something along those lines especially as its been going on for weeks. I would suggest going back to the docs and checking he can have it or maybe you could pop to the pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist, they may well give you some. It helps rehydrate and firm up the stools.
    He will be loosing alot of his essential vitamins/nutrients from having diorreah(sp?) all the time, dialorite is good for replacing those.
    There is also a drink called complan(can be made with milk or water)its a type of dried pawder that you mix into a milkshake type drink. it contains all the essential vits etc that you need. My dd used it for about two weeks when she had a viral tummy bug, it kept her strength up and as she really didnt want to eat it was handy to know that she was getting what she needs. You can get in in supermarkets/pharmacy.

Silly question next but has his diet/milk changed ??? could it be something that triggers the bad tummy off? It could be stress...my sister has had a weak tummy since she was little and the slightest thing/stress and shes on the loo lol!!!!!

The doc is right in saying lots of fluids though, I would also recommend flat lemonade/7up as it contains sugar and also helps settle the tummy too(dont ask me how all I know is it works lol!!).

Do you know when his results are back????
    To be honest I would keep taking him back to the docs, they cant keep sending you away with nothing/no answers.

I dont know if this is any help to you.

Goodluck though hun xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

His diet hasn't changed as he is on normal solid foods, pastas, cottage pie, asdas create your own Garlic gread etc, which he would eat without an issue. Even rice which he saw me eating with my T one night he never used to eat rice until then. But now hes not wanting any of it.

I udnerstand with the stools and lacking in the vit and nutriants etc which i take it saps energy away from you.
    i will just buy some diorylite.

Is the complan meal for children or is there adult version and childrens version.

The sample was takening into docs yesterday so i gather it will be collected today then so on, but i will keep going back with him until he is right. He's not my original boy any more. He was always chirpy and lively

i will keep reading and updating. Hope the progress is what i am after.

Any help big or small is highly appreciated.

Dave
  • Options
    Hi

Its def good news that they have finally taken stool sample, there is such thing as toddler diahorrea so if he has been suffering for a while i wld have thought they wld discuss that with you.

Personally if you are still worried about him at the weekend i wld call out of hours and see another doctor. My lo was back and forth and my doc wldnt listen, he got sick over weekend and i saw out of hours doc who sent me up to the childrens ward and now finally they are taking me seriously and think they no whats wrong, i just wish my doc had referred me sooner.

Good luck

xxDBxx
  • Options
    Figers crossed for you hun x
  • Options
    Figers crossed for you hun x
  • Options
    hello, I was just wondering how your little man is doing????

You must be getting the results soon too..............please let us know how things went(only if you dont mind!)

Take care xxxx