Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

should our baby spend more time with his nan than with us

our 2week old son spend more time with his nan than he dose with me and his mum.
my partner thinks it good for him to spend time with his family but sure it cant be good for him 2 spend to much time with them

Replies

• Options
    ooooooooo didnt want to R&R. Bit taboo this oneis yoir partner leaving baby with grandparents or just spending lots of time visiting them??

If visiting, then perhaps she just feels that she needs to be near her mum for help and advice it can be very nerve racking being a first time mum.

If leaving baby there, i would speak to her and raise your concerns. Do you think that she may be finding it difficult to cope with a newborn and perhaps either has a case of post baby blues or more seriously the start of POst natal depression.

Either way i think that you need to talk to your partner and see if there is anything bothering her and if you can perhaps take some of the pressure off of her is some way.

I hope this helps and things are sorted out soon

Sarah xx
  • Options
    Hmm, without opening a can of worms, I would be concerned aswell and agree with Sarahncraig, if she's leaving the baby there it could indicate the start of pnd.

2 weeks is so very early to be leaving a baby anywhere in my opinion, I would agree that it's good to get babies used to other people, but at this early stage it's all about the bonding etc and your partner may be missing out on this.

Perhaps she's feeling extemely overwhelmed and doesn't feel like she can cope? She obviously needs some help and support.

The granparents if possible need to be more proactive I think in offering to help, but not take over as in the long term this won't help your partner, your baby or yourself.

Hope things work out for you all.

Karenxx