Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what have you done this summer??

what have you done this summer?

I have done loads with the kids, from kite flying to days out.

the beach is always good fun and long walks in amongst the trees.

With only 1/2 week of holiday left I need a few ideas for the end of summer

Replies

• Options

We had some days out at the beginning of the holidays,farms,the zoo,parks,the seaside,castles.We're quite spoilt,we're easy driving distance from lots of places.It's always a headache going anywhere big with my lot,partly the prices,partly  the logistics of 7 kids,with two pushchairs and a kamikaze 2 year old.

I like having no plans in the summer.We get up late,we eat what we feel like day to day,the routine gets lost for days.You have chance to completely unwind and so do the kids.The weather's been good which has been nice.

My only regret is not getting a large lockable box and removing all the games consoles for the duration.I hate seeing the kids glued to those things.I'd much rather they went out in the garden and just played.Far too much time wasted on "screens"

We did the fence painting thing,with water a bucket and a brush.We've had painting and hama beads,bindees,endless drawing.

Ours go back Friday.Bridie's going to London Zoo tomorrow as her belated birthday present from my sister.So jealous,it's lovely there.

• Options

my two arent off to playgroup or anything yet but since my sisters around in the summer weve basically lived in our local park, the kids love it lots of picnics, the childrens festival, dance fest crazy golf, quizes, its such fun there,

weve been back to great yarmouth every oportunity, we love it there, just makes you feel so happy and the weathers been lush here, only had a spot of rain yesterday, Ive never had to buy summer clothes for the kids in the next size ever! lolas loved having her legs out! lol, were heading towards autumn now though and its long trousers and t-shirts but still warm enough for short sleeves its been lovely!

BBQs walks and outdoor painting, Also starting running my own mums group, was luycky enough to find a studio for free and we open next monday image Also starting gymnastics and baby yoga, as both kids are so active they need something constructive to do! Oh and jacks starts speach therapy firday so hopefully we can make life easier for him!

All in all a lovely summer, still cant believe my babys turned two, only a few months and the bean is one!! where does the time go?

• Options

Well big fella had annual zoo membership to chester zoo for his 40th-so must admit,I've got my moneys worth already!!!!!!

Love it there,so much freedom for Tom to walk round,we take  apicnic and spend the day!!!

Been out to lots of parks too,Jc loves the swings-bit awkward when I'm on my own as cant leave Jc on his own,and Tom always wants to go on the slides!!!!!

Weather not been too brilliant but we've just braved it!!! Got soaked in the process but had fun too!

Why not get some cheapo colouring books or plain paper and have an arts day?? We did that last week,apart from Jc trying to eat crayons it was good fun!!!! Managed not to go over my lines which impressed big fella!!!!image

• Options

Playdough works with mine,all of them.You can make your own,or buy it cheap enough

Ours have this silly game of being newspaper editors.Pack of felt tips and they "edit" the old newspapers waiting for recycling

• Options
    That is a good game for the older ones Jo-I'm going to remember that 1-think I'd enjoy it too!!!
  • Options

jack still eats playdough! strange boy!

Got a woolworths bargain, 8 large tubs and 5 small and a ton of cutters extruders etc in a case for £2.50 when they were closing, i cant wait until this time next year when i can do things with both instead of lola playing by herself or at the table while me and jack do something different!

• Options

I made some last year,Tom really enjoyed playing with it,but you know who was constantly trying to eat it/rub it into his hair/push it up his nose etc.... So felt bad he was left out of that,maybe I'll make some more next year.

Need to get some good cutters and shapes,woolworths would have had them,I haven't seen any-does anyone think hobbycraft would be best bet?

• Options
    wilkos is good, and we got some from aldi but thats different everywhere, speaking of aldi theres plans for one here image
  • Options

Great-just did my weekly shop there this am-only £68 !!!! Trolley overflowing!!!!!!!

Actually tried the nappies from there for first time-I'm impressed!image

• Options

weve had aldis before but the prince gets sore in anything but pampers baby dry! so we get the huge boxes at asda 2 for 18 every 3 weeks! cant complain at that, its wipes that i have the national debt in i dont know where they go???

I shop online all the time now, resist temptation, asda is the cheapest, i use mysupermarket.com and it compares asda tesco sainsburys and ocado as you shop so at the end you can choose the cheapest. Do pop to asda for babygrows etc, lola has some lovely asda clothes, shes got a lovely minnie mouse top skirt set on today, very cute!

• Options

If I didn't go to the supermarket I'd be stuck in-do hate supersweep as we call it-not much fun with 2 boys in tow but I like a challengeimage!

I once tried a tesco online shop,but got fed up it took ages-I guess what I did was equivelent of leaving trolley in aisle and doing a runner!!!!!

Love supermarket clothes,and not just for kids,sainsburys do lovely ladies fashion-well what I mean is cheap very hard wearing jeans and nice cheap t-shirts!!!!

I 've never used pampers tbh,didn't want to get used to them,they are very pricey!!! I normally go for tesco own brand or asda lil angels,but I'll save a pound or more if I get them at aldi,and that will save me going to another store for nappies and coming out having spent 30 quid on ......what exactly????I never know,but there's always an end aisle offer I seem to be drawn to!!!!!!

• Options

I didnt know you coudl do that with supermarket.com  - sounds good. I  tried to do my shop on line last night but the delivery slots taken up for when i wanted - thats one job the OH does - about one of the only chores so I dont have to take harry there and do a full shop.

I do think Tesco Nappies are really good, I used pampers always uptil recently but have now started using teso own when I go there buy a big packet, there pull up ones are good  to (I have to put them on of a night or harry undoes a normal nappy.

Clothes from Sainsbury, asda & tesco all brillaint good value for money but have bought a lot of good clothes on Ebay,  he has too many really as my mum and sister spoil him and I couldnt stop buying stuff on ebay!!!

I have only been to Aldi once, its not really in my area and i didnt like it at all, hated the way they chucked the stuff down at you and you had about half a second to pack (well slight exageration there!!)  havent been back since!