Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else with a stepchild or a teen?

Hi,

Wasn't too sure where to put this but I thought relationships was most fitting.

I have a stepdaughter, who is 13 (and our little girl who is 2). She lives with us full time and sees her mum once a month or so image we've had a lot of bumps along the way with court battles, SD being upset by her mum but we're finally getting there with us all as a family.

So, anyone with an older child or stepchild want to chat, share stories, grievances etc?

Replies

• Options

I have two DSS 9 and 12. Their mom and I had a rocky start in the beginning but after my DS was born,he's 5, we've talked alot more and I consider her as one of my closest friends. We have our ups and downs but she listens (sometimes) ????. I

• Options

Hi Krista, 

Thats so good you have a good relationship with their mum! I thought I might be the only stepmum!

I struggle with my stepdaughter occasion occasionlly, we're really close but the teenage years are tough! I'm only 23 so didn’t think I would be dealing with teenageryness this soon. Lol. I've known her since she was 6 though image

• Options

DH and I have been together since DSS were 5 and 2 so I claim them as my own too. It sounds like you will have your hands full for sure but having a step daughter so close it age is a good thing too. Just remember to be a parent before a friend. 

• Options

Yeah that's what I struggle with, we are like the best of friends and I struggle between being stepmum and friend. Although we're slowly sorting it out and getting into a bit of a natural routine and relationship. My SD has some emotional problems, and I am the one who helps her the most. I'm closer in age and I think it's because I'm an adult she can turn to who isn't mum or dad. 

How often do you see your DSS's? 

How oftho you have your DSS's? 

• Options

Not sure what happened at the end of that post!

• Options

It's okay.

We actually have full custody but we get them Thursday evening through Monday evening every week. It's frustrating at times but what can you do. My oldest has emotional problems too and turns to me more than mum or dad. I think it's because we're not really their parents but a trusted adult. I did the same thing when I was younger, I would confide in my friends parents rather than my own. I will say to have that to have a relationship like that is a treasure!!

• Options

Hi Ladies, 

Thought I would join in on this post. I am 26 expecting my first child and I have two step children, girl who is 7 and boy who is 5. I have been with their dad for two years and have recently got engages but I have known him for 10 so have watched the kids grow up. They are amazing children and we have an amazing relationship. We have joint custody of them so the time spent at each house is exactly 50/50.

I have no issues with the kids at all, its their mum that is the problem but we have no learnt to manage her and take it on the chin. I'm hoping that as I have been in their lives since they were young that the teenage years wont be any tougher than normal!