Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Resentment towards MIL

I was 18 when I found out I was pregnant, I was strongly against abortion and my OH was only 17 he persisted on me having an abortion i stuck to my guns and he came round. During the early stages his mum booked me an abortion against my wishes and councilling with people who talk you into an abortion. Upon having my son neither of them can get enough of him and I can't help but hold resentment towards them as the didn't want him but mainly her as she done everything possible to try and sway me! Is that wrong? I hate taking my son over to see them I can't abide them expressing how much they love him, will these feelings suppress over time? Another thing about her that makes my blood boil is she tells me how to raise my son and dictates when she can see him for example his bathed by 6 ready for bed so if she dictates 7 and I say no she tells people that I never allow her to see her grandson, I don't think I'm being unreasonable as I'm trying to establish a routine! Is that wrong of me ? 

Replies

• Options

Sorry to hear what you're going through, I'm going through something similar right now as well, I'm 19 and the father is 22 but both him and his mum wanted me to have an abortion, told me to pick between them or my son... obvious choice! 100% chose my unborn baby. He is now 4 months old and I'm always seen as the bad person if I EVER say no, for example, he was 3 weeks old and she wanted to take him to visit her family 2 hours away on her own, I said no because I wasn't comfortable with him being that far away from me so early on and she went around telling people I don't trust her to look after him etc I offered alternations and compromises like I'd come with her but it wasn't good enough. Recently me and his dad have been arguing over access, i want him to be more involved not just loving the title dad but actually stepping up to the responsibilities. It turnt into a massive argument me saying I want him to bond with him more not only once a week or two, not give me excuses like he's tired or not in the mood and start help out financially aswell! Anyways it turnt into an argument not between me and him about or son but me and his mum. I'm disgusted with the way I was spoken to. Me and my babes dad have now sorted out access but I can't help but resent the fact she can be so rude to me and still not apologies but can spend time with my son when he's with his dad.

xx