Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My mother is driving me nuts!!!

Ok before I start... let me just say that I'm very grateful for everything my mum does for me. I just find myself constantly annoyed at her regarding my son lately.

So here are the things that are getting to me. (Feel free to tell me if I'm being ridiculous).

1)She always says how he looks like her and that she is the only one that can settle him as she is the "baby whisperer" she tells me that they have a deep connection which makes me feel like she thinks I'm not a good mother. 

2) she will take credit for clothes and toys that she didn't even buy him. When I tell her that someone else bought it, she gets annoyed. I wouldnot worry about correcting her so much but she will say it on front of MIL who most of the time bought the item and she gets offended.

3)She tells me that he should only wear certain colours as he is a redhead. When my beautiful Grandmother knitted him a whole lot of jumpers and beanies, my mum said straight out to her " well he won't be wearing any of that as its not his colour!" 

4) the other day she asked me who we would leave LO to if my partner and I died. When I said we haven't decided yet, she said obviously it's her and my dad. When I said I don't know she got really shitty.

5) she keeps calling him her son " by accident" also she puts down my MIL  lot which isn't fair.

These are just some of the things getting to me lately. I feel bad for being petty but it's really affecting me.

Any suggestions on how to deal with her ? Or am I overreacting? 

Replies

• Options

My mom also makes me angry. I really love her, but she thinks she knows better how to raise a grandson.

• Options

I can really relate to this and it's something I'm so worried about happening. Me and my mum have a really strained relationship And to be quite honest it's obvious that we dislike eachother. I speak to her because I won't get to see my siblings otherwise. I'm currently 2 months pregnant and have decided to tell her last because of how she responded to my sisters pregnancy. Just constantly trying to take over and put my sister down. Its upsetting that she'll only give a crap about me now that I'm pregnant and quite honestly I welcome the idea of not telling her at all. Ugh is that wrong of me? 

• Options

If it were me I'd talk to her about this and how it's making people around her feel alienated. If you dot tell her she won't know explicitly that what she's doing is upsetting. I hope it helps at all.