Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Husband and Anti depressants

I apologise in advance, this may be a long one. 

My husband and I have been married for 6 years and we have 2 children. June last year he started taking Sertraline after many months of depression, PTSD and anxiety (consequence of a serious motorcycle accident in 2019). It saddens me to say that it's blocked him emotionally. He no longer shows me the affection that he used to and I am so, so sad. He started a new job which is massively conflicts my working hours (I work a 24/7 shift pattern) and I've been tweaking hours or surviving off 2-3 hours sleep in order for him to get to work. I am exhausted. I cannot remember the last time he asked me how I am, or wrapped his lovely big arms around me with a peck on the forehead. It's just like I'm this person he lives with, but no longer cares about. An incident last night, although probably seems minor to those reading has just destroyed me. I was due to start work at 10pm. Once the girls were in bed I went for a nap and set my alarm for 8.45pm... I woke at 10pm on the dot. Dashed out of bed, running around getting ready to find him in the living room awake. (I assumed he too had dozed off). I asked him how come he never came to check on me and wake me up, and he just replied with "It's not my fault, you set your alarm." I didn't say anything, just left the house for work. I just feel like I dont exist. I'm not on his priority list. I miss the husband I married and I know he's in there somewhere. 

I'm not even sure if I'm asking for anything here. Perhaps this is just to vent. I am incredibly lonely with no friend network to call upon. But I feel like I'm on the brink.

Thank you for reading x

Replies

• Options
    hi hun don’t want to read and run on this as I kinda understand how your feeling but not as bad. My husband also suffers with depression and is now on mitizipine. He was on septraline which wasn’t right for him it made him distant and like he didn’t care but we happily caught it try get him to change his medication or talk to a doctor, will he listen to you at all im lucky enough If I say to my husband how it’s affecting me and he will listen but also understand it’s not your fault or your husbands, depression is a mental illness it’s a chemical imbalance the only thing you can do is tell him how you feel I’m sorry if it’s not much help xxx