Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nearly 4 and TERRIFIED of flying bugs - HELP!

Advice required please! My daughter who'll be 4 in october, has this summer started demonstrating an uncontrolable fear for flies, bees, wasps and basically anything buzzy with wings. If I'm not in the room and she see's one it's she gets herself into such a state, that from another room I'd have thought she'd have lost a limb. She's genuinely terrified and I don't know what to do about it. I've tried the reasoning with her and explaining that particularly with bees/wasps if she doesn't touch them, they won't hurt her, looked at insect books etc.. but nothing's working. It's getting to the point that she won't be left in a room on her own, go to the loo on her own and for the last couple of nights she's even appeared in our bed in the middle of the night. I really don't know where the fear has stemed from as to the best of my knowledge no one around her has flapped about when any have come our way or anything like that, so think it's all of her own creation. Any suggestions hugely appreciated!:\?

[Modified by: pipsicola on 10 June 2008 22:27:34 ]

Replies

• Options
    hi what i did was a bug project with my daughter were we looked at books, did drawings, painting and made bugs from boxes and straws etc. we would go into the garden and hold bugs(i.e. i hold a worm then ask her if she wanted to hold it too), take photos of bugs. i even phoned the zoo and asked if they did bug for us too see. and soonish my daughter realised that flys ect are ok just like worms and grasshoppers. though she still dosent like flys and spiders she will no longer scream the house down and will ask me or her dad to catch them in a glass so she can see them before we let them go outside. i hope this helps x.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the ideas, have been out and got her a garden bugs sticker book today which has got bugs she quite likes in it along with the flies, bees etc...that she's not so keen on so will see how that goes down, but do really the project idea... will get on the case! Thank you..x