Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anti-baby jab anyone??

Thought I'd post this here as well as some of you are like me, not having any more bubs as we have older darlings too.
My mate's just had an injection as contraception...she hasn't any kids and doesn't want any just yet! I've had 3 and don't want any more lol.
Anyway, she said they jab her every 3 months and it stops af coming too. Has/is anyone using this method? Just want to know of any side effects...particularly weight gain, still got some to shift, let alone gain!
Thanks in advance x

Replies

• Options
    Hi i had the injection before having my children and they used to inject me in the top of my leg every 3 months which was handy and i didnt have an af for 2 years, but on the down side i had really bad mood swings and headaches,gained weight and started having funny pains in my legs so i stopped having it having said that it was 6-7 years ago and my sil has it and she suffers from weight gain but shes trying to control it, but i guess its different for everyone.
    vikki xx
  • Options
    A very small percentage of people bleed constantly and when I tried the contraceptive injection thats what happened to me. Needless to say I only had it once.

My aunt has been getting it for 11 years or so and blames it for her weight gain.

I think where contraception is concerned everyone is different- what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. I would give it a go and see what you think yourself.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I think that's what's putting me off the most- having side effects lasting the full 12 weeks, esp bleeding for that long, nightmare!
    May have probs with it, as have had probs with various types of the pill....back to the drawing board!
  • Options
    Have you thought about the implant in the arm? It's as affective (99%) as the pill, can also stop af, and can be left for either 3 or 5 yrs. It's the approx size and thickness of a matchstick. Drawbacks include weight gain in some ladies but I also know several who didn't suffer with that at all. Maybe worth finding out more info?
  • Options
    Thanks, yes I'll have a look on the net then ask the doc. I'm such a jab-wimp tho and that sounds scary! Think hubby's bits need snipping!
    It's funny now I'm older I'm more bothered about not having a baby than when I was younger, if that makes sense? Then again, four is my lucky number....!!!
  • Options
    hi i dont know particularly about the jag but my friend has an contraceptive implant in her arm (i think its like a small piece of plastic under the skin). this is good because it can just be taken out if you decide you want more kids. as far as i know she has no weird sideeffects like weight gain or anything and you dont need to go back the way you do with jags, i think you can keep one in for a 3 yrs.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

SORRY JUST REALISED SOMEONE ALREADY MENTIONED THIS ABOVE (WAS TOO LAZY TO READ ALL THE POSTS LOL X)

[Modified by: lauragcam on May 04, 2008 12:17 AM]
  • Options
    Hey,
    Just wanted to let you know, I had the implant in for a year.
    I hate needles and the thought of having it put in was horrible, but I hardly felt a thing! As long as you don't look it's ok.
    Anyway, it was great and I had no side effects atall apart from the fact that I was one of the unlucky few who bled constantly!! So after a year of sticking with it I had it taken out.

My friend is on her second one and loves it, she hasn't had af in years and has had no side effects atall.
    You can always have it taken out if you don't get on with it, unlike the injection, and the symptoms stop straight away.

Faith 28 weeks.xxxxx
  • Options
    My sister had the injection before she decided to start trying for her second. She didnt really have any side effects that she mentioned to me, she did worry a bit about weight gain but wasnt sure if it was the injection doing it or whether she was just eating too much image
    She ended up concieving a year after stopping it as well-which I didnt think was that long as she'd told me it could take up to a year for it to be fully out of her system, but she moaned that it was too long and even thought about sending her oh to the fertility clinic.
    Id have to ask her to be sure but Im pretty sure on a whole she was pretty happy with the injections...Ive been considering them myself (after lo's born) although I did think they lasted 6 months and not 3...I should really do more research image

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/1;10051;28/st/20080729/dt/5/k/9e45/preg.png