Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

nearly 5 & started bed wetting & accidents at school!

Hi,

My son will be 5 in november and has been toilet trained since around age 2 1/2. He has been going to school half days since around that age too but has been going full time since september this year. Just this past week he has come home from school with his wet undies in a bag everyday and a change of trousers once and has also wet the bed twice!!

I know that some kids can go backwards but i thought he had already gone through that stage. The only thing that has changed, other than him being in school all day is that it's sort of a new school. His old school is going to be knocked down and his school has merged with 2 others and so his old class and friends have been split up between the other 2 schools!!

Obviously i will be asking his teachers at school how he is getting on but just wanted any other tips or advise on what to do.
My neighbours daughter goes to the same school and she is 6 and has been coming home and wetting herself because her teachers weren't letting her go to the toilet during class hours!! I just wonder if this is whats going on in my sons class!

michelle x

Replies

• Options
    I would hope that they are not stopping him from going to the toilet! And if he has been having accidents then they should really be encouraging him to go more often.

Is he using new toilets? Some children can feel unsure of new toilets and maybe you could visit them together so he knows they're ok and safe to use. And if he's only been doing half days it could be that he's always held on till he got home?

I would talk to his teacher and ask them to remind him to go on regular occasions (I have done this many times for rec children who have wet themselves at school - they soon settle into remembering to go themselves more often.)

Make sure he has a change of clothes and try to not make a big thing of it.

Are they encouraging him to drink from a water bottle (children should have free access to water during the day) as he may be drinking more than he used to?
  • Options
    Hiya,
    My eldest (now 7)did the exact same thing when he started nursery full time. The teachers said he was going to the toilet and he was doing well etc. So I took him to the doctors and it turned out that he had a kidney infection, after a week of antibiotics he stopped wetting himself and everything was fine.
    I don't want to worry you but just thought I'd mention it as I thought it was because he wasn't using the school toilets too.
    The other thing is if he's worried about something?
    My daughter kept coming home really busting for the toilet and it turns out that a few lads in her class used push open the doors in the loos' just for a laugh!! so that stopped her going because she was scared they would do it to her.
    I can't really offer advice but I wanted to point out the few things that made my kids have Toilet troubles
    Good luck with things.
  • Options

You must train your child to go to the toilet to avoid bed wetting during night time. Beacuase bed wetting could destoy your childrens bed.