Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Not child related but have any of you done a nursing degree?

Ive got an interview at Uni to get on the children's nursing degree, any advice on what I need to know/say at the interview would be greatly appreciated. Wish me luck xxx image

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I completed my nursing degree two years ago. The interview wasn't too bad. I think it depends which branch of nursing you want to do. I did child. There were only 12 places and over 500 applicants! You need to look on the get into nursing website for ideas. Usually they like you to have had experience in caring. Make sure you get in that you understand the need for confidentiality and putting the patient first. Documentation is also a good buzz word, and having fairly good maths skills would be a help. Good luck. Al x
  • Options
    Hi Nicola, first of all a massive good luck! I'm doing adult nursing at the moment and just thought of a few things that might help. They want to know that YOU know what a nurse really does, (not just cuddling poorly kids like some people think!), that it's hard work and that you could handle any conflicts with parents while respecting the fact that it's their choice about their child at the end of the day. (Say you've spoken to someone to get a better understanding like your practice nurse or something)

Check out Dept of Health website and have a quick look at any particular policies relating to children, throw them in the interview somehow if you can, everything is backed by policies nowadays and shapes everything we do (that would impress them and make u stand out!)

Also say you would be good at working with other members of the multi disciplinary team (physio's, play therapists, OT's etc), really really important that one. Also that you understand that they are NOT mini adults, children have their own needs when in hospital (play v.important) and have different concerns and see things very differently to adults (obviously you know this being a mum!)

Patient confidentiality, attention to detail and maybe that you wouldn't be happy just being a HCA cos you want to see the job through to the end instead of passing it onto someone else.

Have you got any experience in care work? You could always say you are going to or already have joined an agency to do some healthcare shifts on childrens wards to get some more experience. They must already be interested in you or they wouldn't have offered you an interview, there are sooooo many applicants for childrens nursing they can afford to be choosy so you're halfway there! Also, they seem to prefer slightly older students who've matured and can really handle juggling a full time course with motherhood (bloody nightmare it is sometimes!)

Which uni is it for and when is your interview? Do let us know how you get on

Luv Loopy x