Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Childcare!!!

Hi All,

I would really appreciate any advice re. childcare. I'm hoping to return to work part time in September. I'm a teacher, so pretty tied to specific hours. I have 3 children, 5,3 and 10 months, so all at fairly different stages. My mum has looked after older 2 but I feel it's time she enjoyed being grandma and they are quite a formidable bunch when all together. I have used 2 local nurseries and have been very happy but they are now all at very different stages ie school, nursery in am and baby. I've read about all sorts of childcare, breakfast clubs, child minder etc but I would really appreciate any advice/ information on how to do it. I really am struggling. I'm hoping baby can go to nursery but unsure how to organize/handle any other type of childcare. I would love to hear how any other Mums/Dads have organized it!!!

Tracy xxx

Replies

• Options
    I think your best bet would be to get a childminder who has their own car. That way she can drop off/pick up the oldest 2 from school/nursery, and look after the baby at home. You can contact your local authority who will give you a number to call so you can get a list of registered childminders in your area. Hope this is of some use to you. I
    Jo x
  • Options
    Hi Jo,
    thanks for your reply. I think you are right. Will give local authority a ring and see who is available.

Tracy xxx
  • Options
    def agree with a child minder, if you can't afford a nanny to work for you full time & to do all the running around then get the same cm for all 3, baby goes all day, todder gets dropped off & then picked up from playgroup (if they go) and spends remainder of day with cm & then cm can pick up older child when school is out. You can also usually get some kind of discount when cm has siblings.

Don't forget to check if you & your oh are entitled to child care vouchers through you employers. Both of you are entitiled to 248 gbp per month tax free, which if you are on a 40% tax bracket saves over 1,200k pounds per year each.
  • Options
    I's say a childminder is best too as then all 3 can go to the same carer and she/he can do drop offs/picks from school etc. I am in a similar situation. I am a Nursery Nurse and have 3 kids - 8, nearly 5 and 8 months. I am tied to set hours too (8.15-4.15) as I work in a a state nursry school. I have been unable to get childcare for all 3 of mine together - none of the private nurseries have spaces for all 3 - would need full time for baby and breakfast/after school care plus drop off/pick up for the other two. Their school does wraparound which is before/afterschool care and they have spave for the 5 year old but dont take children over 7?!?! Even if I used that I would need to drop the other 2 of elsewhere - too much running around etc. I've got a list of all the childminers in my area and none have space available for all 3 so the result is that I have had to resign : ( . I am now desparately looking for work in the evenings / weekends which is also proving to be really difficult as I can only work when oh is home and most of the jobs start before he is home etc. SO much for all this family friendly crap the government keep spouting about.

ANyway, rant over. I hope you have more luck than me and get your childcare sorted out soon.
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

thanks for your replies. I got child minder list from authority. My times for work are not settled at moment but noticed quite a few of the cm's on list don't do certain times, pick ups etc, so I am going to have to get sorted quickly.

Beebee it would be great to have a nanny and I hadn't thought about that but if I go back full time that might be my only option as hubbie works away during week. Thanks for info on child care vouchers, my husband had mentioned that but I had forgotten.

Tricia,Lara,Kayla&Oakley, sorry to hear about your probs with childcare. It is really hard to get sorted once they get to school, nursery ages etc. I really hadn't thought about it, I've really enjoyed being at home with kids and I've been really lucky having my Mum help but needs must, I'm ready to go back to work and obviously the money would be a great bonus!!!!!!.
    I hope you get something sorted soon.

Tracy xxx