Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Christmas, how many presents?

Hi,

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, both boys, and I just wanted to get your opinions on how many presents you will buy or how much you are planning to spend for christmas this year?
Will you set a limit on money or just get a certain number of things you want to get them?
Last year I spoiled them a lot because I felt guilty about it being their first christmas with me and their dad being split up but this year, they haven't seen him since July and won't be seeing him again as far as I know so I'm feeling really guilty about that too (although I know it's not my fault!) but money's a lot tighter this year as I'm sure it is for a lot of you so I'm just wondering what you think is appropriate

Thanks,
Gemma

Replies

• Options
    I may sound like a scrouge but we only get my 3 children two pressies each. They also have a nice stocking filled with goodies and toys.
    For us christmas is just about good food and wonderful company.
    For the last few years we were really struggling to get presants for friends and family aswel as our own children. We made the desision that we were only going to buy gifts for the children of our families and now the company and enjoyment of being together is just enough.
    We spend as much money as we are able to on each child and they always get presants that are worth buying and that we know will last and be played with.
    I do start buying stocking fillers in january of the new year so it spreads the cost a little better.
    xxxxxxxx
  • Options
    My 3 girls - Erin 5, Hayley 4 & now Paige 10ths (first xmas) get a big stocking filled with little things like pencils and colouring books and some chocolates etc.

Santa also beings them each 1 big present.

Mummy and Daddy do not buy them presents (from my hubby's side of the family, i think they'll think we're mean) but aunties and uncles and grandmas and grandads buy them a present each too.

I suppose i should start xmas shopping soon too??? lol.

Shell
  • Options
    Hiya,

My lil boy Devon, 3, is having ??250 worth of prezzies plus a big stocking full of colours, books, and sweeties.

Think he is a bit spoiltimage
  • Options
    Our older 3 have got bikes for Xmas this year.....but I did shop carefully and got a Scooby Doo trike and 2 girlie bikes off ebay, brand new (still boxed - gotta put em together lol) & inc postage, spent ??125 TOTAL!!! Will get them a cpl little bits on top, each, then it'll be a stocking (from Santa) of bits n bobs like pencils, books etc that they open 6am Xmas morning......good way of keeping ours in their rooms till at least 7am!!

Alex (21months at Xmas) will prob just get 2 biggish pressies plus a Santa stocking and Nathan (who is nearly here lol) will only be a few wks old so will prob just get him a cpl little bits from Santa so the other kids don't think Santa forgot their baby brother!

The only other pressies they'll get really are some bits from nanny n grandad but we don't see them til Boxing Day so does help spread the excitement a little :\)
  • Options
    wow, i think i've been doing things wrong!! lol

Don't take this the wrong way but are you children happy on xmas day?

I have always gone mad and got everything made myself skint! My partner says they shouldn't have as much as i want to get them but i can't help it. I always thought i had a lot when i was younger so i think thats where it comes from.
    My children get clothes, cds, dvds, books pencils, dolls, cars and anythings else i can think of and they each get a main present which might either be big or cost more money such as a bike or tv etc.
    This year is really tight for us, we have just gone through an iva and then my partner lost his job and im pregnant with my 5th and he has 3 children too!! I think i might not got as much this year based on what you've all said which is why i asked if the kids were happy because i always thought the more they had the happier but even i know over the past few years isn't the case because they do get bored and break most of the stuff so i think i will only be getting a few things that i know they will like and play with and not waste so much money that i haven't got!! lol
  • Options
    Personally, going by my lot - they are far happier getting a few things that they want and will play with rather than loads that they either use once then gets slung in the bottom of a cupboard or never get round to getting out the box!!

We also found it works well to spread things over the hols......last yr we kept a cpl of sml pressies aside for New Year and found that even thou the school break was coming to an end, they weren't as bad as previous yrs as they still had something to look forward to!

I think so much has been taken away from the 'joy' of the holidays, what with all the new toy adverts on tele etc that many of us forget the 'family' part and concentrate on the gift side of Christmas.........having spent last Christmas in a diff country with limited contact to the rest of our family, I must admit to really looking forward to a proper family get-together this year!
  • Options
    ive just read the replies and i must be the one who goes mad ivwe spent approx 1500 pound this year ive got 3 kids emmy 5 tyler 2 travis 14 weeks and the too older children have bikes then 350 pounds of other gifts and travis has had 150 pounds spent on him ive spent 500 on the other half! when i was little my mum always got us very little and it was crap and i think thats why i go mad
  • Options
    we get the all one main prezzy then lots if little stocking fillers.
    i think while they are young they dont really care, i would rather hold of till they are older and wanting more before i start spending a lot.
    Pluss we always go away at christmas which costs a lot, and the kids get loads of prescent from the rest of the family as well.
  • Options
    Too many *blush*!!