Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Starting school: what are your wish-I'd-known tips?

Hello

It's not long now till the start of the academic year – and a whole new set of 4 to 5-year-olds have their days at primary school.

Most schools are pretty good these days about giving parents of new starters lots of info about the school but but we know most of us still feel a little wobbly as the big First Day draws nearer, and it's natural to feel a little anxious about what to expect, and how your child's going to get on and fit in.

So, we're hoping those of you who have children at primary school already can help settle a few nerves by passing on some ace starting-school tips.

What would you tell the parent of a child who's about to have their first day at school? What advice and tips would you pass on? What's important to know or find out or buy? What do you wish you'd known before term started? What's the best way to talk to your child about starting school? 

Do please add your tips and advice to this thread. We're sure you'll make a lot of parents feel a whole lot better about those schooldays ahead!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/school_copy.jpg

Replies

• Options

Write child's name on absolutely everything!! I tried various ways over the years but a sharpie perminant marker works best and lasts longer than iron in tags and fabric pens that fade with the wash.

I wouldn't send them in expensive coats bags and shoes either, they get used and abused ( and lost!) so now I keep nice stuff to go out and use a supermarket general brand coat and shoe etc for school - some say that they only use high end brands etc but my son trashed a pair of expensive kickers shoes in 3 days playing playground football so he gets a £10 pair from asda now lol !!