Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How do I explain Downs Syndrome to my 6 year old, so she understands why a girl was different?

Please help me out with a tricky situation.

I've just collected my 6 year old daughter from her summer club - there was an older girl there (maybe 11 years old) with Downs Syndrome - my daughter was telling me this girl was 'rude, didn't listen, kept touching everyone' etc and I've tried to explain why you have to be more accepting of some other kids.
The thing is, i tred to explain why - how kids with DS are the same but different, but I just couldn't articulate it for a 6 year old - can any of you help please so that she understands clearer?

Replies

• Options

Does your daughter watch / know of dora the explorer?. If so (or somethung similar) how about explaining that children with special needs don't always 'talk & listen' in the same language as us (like dora the explorer & her friends come across people who speak other languages)... they might need us to say the same thing lots of times, to show them physically or to use our hands to talk so that they can understand. If this child also has some behaviour issues you could explain how hard it is because if she is thinking or feeling something in her head but can't tell the grown-ups or other children because they don't understand her 'language' then this can make her feel sad or angry. Try & link it to a time when your little girl may have got upset about something she wanted but was not given itso she can connect the feeling.

hope this helps!