Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can anyone recommend free Phonics Apps / Games please? Son has chicken pox.

My sons currently off school with chicken pox. I was looking for some ftee phonics games / apps to keep him entertained and hopefully keep up with his reading. But am struggling. We've downloaded a few but after the easiest level which he can do in a few minutes it asks to pay. (We only have an iPad not a Laptop) 

So wondered if anyone is aware of any free good ones out there or any that are worth paying for? 

Also any other educational ones e.g. Maths. He's in reception so nothing too difficult.

thank you

Replies

• Options

My daughter is in reception and there are 5 kids off with the chicken pox - i still don't get how my lg has not caught it yet! 

Anyhow, here are the apps we like.

Sorting game - free
    All the Toca apps - they are worth paying for
    All the Lego Duplo apps are free and are brilliant
    Check out the Sago mini apps - they're great too
    FirstWords is alright, but you get the pop ups problem
    Our fave letters game is an ABC Elmo - worth paying for. 

Good luck, and don't forget to chuck loads of bicarb in the bath to soothe his spots x

• Options

My daughter is in Reception too and we were recommended Reading Eggs by the school. Young children can learn to practice their phonics, letter tracing and spelling on this interactive educational website - it's worth trying a free trail! I heard Oxford Owl is a good one, their are so many games and free ebooks that don't require download! It teaches your child to read. Their is also another online game called Animal Who which my daughter loves. We have also downloaded free Fisher Price apps and one of them I believe teaches letters. We've had those since she was a baby. Education City have an app, from the number 1 site used by teachers in the U.K. And finally, Top Marks, most of their games are mobile friendly!