Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

5 year old throwing tantrums not to go to school

My 5 year old daughter is in Reception and has never cried going to school apart from when she first started. But this week, she been crying and screaming because she doesn't want to go to school. On Wednesday I had to pick her up early because she she was having a mini fit and didn't want to go to dance club after school. She's even missed out on her swimming lessons, I feel so bad and sorry for her. It's stressing both of us out as parents  and what upsets me most is she won't even explain why she's crying! I've got a toddler who goes to preschool once a week at the moment and a bump to look after so it's even harder than you might think. I plan to talk to her teacher as I have all sorts of concerns popping up in my head like she's being bullied or something has happened. I know you shouldn't hesitate to talk to your child's teacher but the way it's like in my daughter's school makes me think I can't as she calls the children out of class so quickly and they walk out the doors to her playground and up the ramp. I'm thinking of writing this in her home link as I think it might be a bit easier to talk to her that way, if I find out she is being badly bullied by someone I will go look for help.

Replies

• Options

Oh bless her, sounds like you're having a real ordeal. i have  daughter in reception, and if this was me, i would go in and see her teacher asap. Don't worry about the teacher boothing them out of class at the end of the day, make yourself known and go see her.

Talk to the teacher about any changes in class, is your daughter ok once you drop her off? 

Then maybe sit down with the teacher and your daughter and talk about things together. 

I also find my daighter likes to tell me about her day, just before bed, so maybe read her a bed rime story and ask her to tell you what her best bit of the day was and then what bit of the day she didn't like so much. she ight offload then. good luck.