Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice needed, struggling to cope with 4 year old son

hi

can anyone give any advice on my 4 year old son.

from 9 mobths when I went back to work he started pulling his hair, I’ve researched it and it’s called Trichotillomania, it’s a known disorder. 

From then the hair pulling has continued, gets worst when he’s stressed out. So when he started nursery and recently when he started school. The doctors won’t do anything till he’s older but he’s so anxious a lot of the time.

he also has awful tantrum/melt down, he used to do it so bad he’d pass out (breath holding spells) the tanturns started when he was around 18months so thought it was terrible twos but they’ve continued and got worst and worst. 

I’ve taken him to the doctors about them but they said it was just his age and something he’d grow out of.

every day he has a meltdown over something, I avoid taking him out because I get so embarrassed about him having them in public.

He will just start moaning about nothing, he’ll be watching tv for instance and just start whinging and moaning. 

please any advice as I’m starting to really struggle to cope 😪

Replies

• Options

I'm sorry i don't have any experience of this, but wanted to ask, have the nursery or school mentioned any worries/issues? Usually, they're good at highlighting any potential problems, so wondering if they might offer some guidance. 

If you find your son is getting anxious, have you thought about getting him a squishy? They are good for stress, and he can squeeze it if he's feeling worried. They're all over Amazon - so hopefully distracting him with a special squishy toy might stop the hair pulling. 

• Options

Thank you I’ll look at getting him a squishy.

The only thing nursery and school ever mentioned is his anxiety. They have gave us a form to till in to speak to the nurse about regarding his anxiety but we’re waiting to hear back about that.