Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Kids becoming too much

I have a 2 sons and 1 daughter and a husband in our house. My sons are 10 and 11. So Im giving them lots of work in during the day before they go back to school and when they go back to school I’ll set them work after school as well so they aren’t lounging around all evening. I just told them it’s back to reality soon as September is coming up and my sons mentioned they don’t want to do loads of work after school. I told them they have no choice, they say everyone else gets to play after school, watch tv and play on games and they said it’s unfair so I said life’s not fair. My younger son just had a tantrum over it because I told him he’s doing work when he gets home weather he likes or not and it ended up with him having a tantrum. On school days during the week I make them do work for a few hours after school then I let them watch tv for about an hour before bed. They want to just come home from school and watch tv all evening but no that will ruin their education.

My husband does help, he went and bought the sons a PS4 for the older ones birthday after them asking him but my husband knew full well our golden rules that game consoles are banned from this house. I got my husbands to return the PS4 back to the store which again my son had a tantrum over it, he wanted to open keep it but I made it clear no so I had to take it off him then give then get my husband to run to the garage with the to lock the PS4 in otherwise my son would unpackaged it. My husband also bought a £70 watch for the other son’s birthday which I knew nothing about so got my husband to return it, he then had the audacity to argue and say it’s his money and his buying a present for his son. I had to beg for him to return it so I’m the end he did. I mean £70 on a watch!! The PS4 was bloody £250!!! £250!!! I don’t even spend that much money on myself, I was in shock about the fact my husband thought that was a good idea, I saw the receipt and froze. I don’t know what he thinks he is doing buying all these expensive things, money doesn’t grow on trees!!

Yesterday my sons were asking for a takeaway to my husband so I signalled leave it because I’m making chapatti as always, my husband agreed he’s not getting it and told them no. I go to have a shower for 15 or 20 minutes and as I’m coming down the stairs I see my husbands car pull up on the driveway and the kids come out holding a big bag, I ask what is in and they don’t say so I keep asking but still refuse to say. I wrestled the bag off them to find they gone and been to macdonalds happy meals even though I said no. So I chuck the happy meals outside in the garden for the birds and make everyone their chapatti like I agreed. I’m just honestly sick of all this, they went behind my back to get some junk food it’s ridiculous!

Replies

• Options
    Wow sorry but you do come across as quite harsh life is about a balance if you don’t loosen up a bit they will really rebel 
  • Options
    Wow sorry but you do come across as quite harsh life is about a balance if you don’t loosen up a bit they will really rebel 
    What is harsh? I care about my kids education and health
  • Options
    I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to explain it to you, you seem to have your thoughts on it and won’t take anyone else’s opinion including your husband and your children I know you think you’re doing the best but as I said before life is about balance and with the 3 incidents you described your husband does not agree with you and you’ll end up pushing him and your children away but just my opinion  
  • Options
    I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to explain it to you, you seem to have your thoughts on it and won’t take anyone else’s opinion including your husband and your children I know you think you’re doing the best but as I said before life is about balance and with the 3 incidents you described your husband does not agree with you and you’ll end up pushing him and your children away but just my opinion  
    How will they get away from me they live with me?
  • Options
    Firstly i understand you want the best for your children. School sets homework, and its up to you how much you think the children should do. My children do their set homework, read and practice spellings, this is not 2 hours a night. Maybe offer one night off a week or consider doing something else that is also educational. Going for a walk and naming the trees, practicing a sport, cooking are all important life skills. Playing is also super important for children. Time not working does not need to be spent watching tv there are plenty of other things like board games and jigsaws which are fun but educational.

i get why you got frustated that your husband bought a ps4, however i think its very harsh on the children to have been bought something and then have it taken away. If your husband wants to buy things then he should be able to but you should bother agree. Maybe he feels you are quite tough? All relationships need balance and they are his children too. You ned to sit down and ask “why did you do that”? Listen to him and see why you are both on different pages.

i would have been angry about the mcdonalds especially as you were cooking. But again its very unfair on the children go have something given and then taken away. It sound like your husband wants to treat the children or feels your rules are too tough and ends up going behind your back as you do not allow him to do some of the things he wants too. Your kids are getting stuck in the middle. It is not at all fair for a child to be given a gift by their parent to then be forced to return it. You both need to work it out or you will end up pushing your kids away.