Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Unsure which school to choose..

Hi all. My son didn’t get his first choice of school which I was kind of expecting as we’re 2 miles away and it’s the best school in the area. He got our second choice which is a brand new school that’s opening in September. It wasn’t very popular, they had 60 places and only 18 children applied and got a place. I’ve now heard today that the teacher they’ve appointed is going to be a newly-qualified teacher, she’s currently still a student. I think that’s crazy, she’ll literally be the only teacher in the school. The Head is also the Head of the biggest primary school in the area so can’t imagine he’s going to be there much. There’s another school not too far away that still has places available. It has a good Ofsted report, the only reason we didn’t apply for it is that it’s on a big new estate and I didn’t think he would get in, plus one of the teachers is friendly with an ex-partner that’s caused me a few issues but that shouldn’t really be a problem. My son is ‘emerging’ in most of categories of his recent preschool assessment and he has additional needs in regards to his speech. Should I just put him at a school that’s already established rather than risk this new one? My husband doesn’t mind either way so I feel like it’s just up to me. I’m worried and obviously just want the best for him. What would you do?