Forum home Babies Sleep
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

10 month old not sleeping!

Hi 

I was after some advice. My 10 month old hasn't been sleeping much through the night for about 6-8 weeks. He used to wake up twice for his dummy but now it's a constant battle.

We have a routine of bath, book, cuddles and bottle in room at around 7 - 7.30. Sometimes he settles straight away, sometimes I have to hold his hand or leave him to cry at short intervals. 

He then sleeps until 11.30pm and Wakes and is unsettled wants his dummy putting in and it can take 5 to 10 minutes to settle him. This then continues every 1 to 2 hours until 7am. Then come 7am when we have to get up, he wants to sleep!

I've tried co sleeping but he's very wriggly and keeps me awake. 

I've tried teething gel, sachets but still wakes. I've tried giving him water but still wakes. I'm reluctant to start up a night feed as he's always managed without since 7 months. 

Any suggestions?? 

Thanks

Replies

• Options

Your son is 10 months old, so I am assuming hes grabbing his toys, food etc from the floor/tray/ you without hesitation or confusion? I was told soon as baby can do this, if you have a pacifier sucking baby its good to leave 5-10 dummies alone in the bed (if you cant afford this they do 2 packs in poundland).. and leave a night light so baby can see in middle of night and will be able to see one and put it back in himself without distruping you.

Are you in the same bedroom? If not this might help. He may want to see youm I am opposite my daughter and she smiles instantly when she wakes up and see me.

You could get a sensory bedtime toy, when they move it automatically plays. Have you seen on facebook (My hummys) I think there called, they also have a large selection of ones in motherrcare, he may need some white noise to self soothe himself.

He may want a bottle. Or a little midnight snack, he may not of done this before, but babies change, even we occasionally get hungry at 2am.. Why not try a small bottle of about 3 ounces of NIGHTIME MILK. Should settle him enough till the morning. (If you are reluctant, maybe get up with him for half hour and play on a playmat or toy or even just tickling this could tire him out till morning.