Forum home Babies Sleep
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Why won't she sleep??

Hi ladies. I really need help.

My baby girl has just turned 6 months old and won't sleep in her cot. I know if you follow the Wonder Weeks, we are in the thick of Leap 5, with week 26 being the worst bit. Her behaviour (day and night) is exactly as described with Leap 5: more needy/clingy than usual, breast feeding more frequently (every hour), hates being put down, cries when we leave the room and has recently started screaming a high pitched squeal. She naps for 40 minutes, unless held in which case she can sleep for maybe 2 hours.

On a night, her sleep is so disrupted because she wakes when she realises she's in her cot and cries. She sometimes wakes fully and I'm awake for hours at a time with her before she's asleep in her cot again.

My concern is - Leap 5 is due to finish any day now. But there's no sign of it ending. What if it doesn't? What if this is just how she sleeps now? I'm struggling so much.

We never really got out of Leap 4/the 4 month sleep regression and her sleep has been mostly awful since. But the past week has been by far the worst.

I started a bath - book - boob - bed routine over a month ago, which starts around 7pm and results in her being asleep on my boob by 7:30pm. I wait 20 minutes then put her in her cot. Every night, she goes down straight away here (except tonight).

For the past week, she's woken an hour later and really cried hard. To the point where the only thing which has calmed her is boob again. She's not hungry because she's not really feeding, but does fall asleep again straight away. Believe me - relying on the boob to get her back to sleep is not what I want to be doing but at the moment, it's been the ONLY thing which has stopped her crying.

After this, for the past week she's woken again around midnight/1am for another 'feed'. However, when I've tried to put her back down she wakes fully and screams. I've then been awake with her for 2 or 3 hours at a time to get her back in her cot.
Some nights, I've got to this stage and given up so put her on the bed with me (I know about the risks and I hate myself after having done it). But I want her, need her to sleep in her cot so I do try to persist with it.

I went back to work at 4 months and my partner has taken the rest of the leave. I'm currently off for Easter but driving to work and teaching teenagers is going to be an almost impossible task on 3 hours sleep.

During the 4 month regression, my HV said baby could be waking more frequently because I've gone back to work and she misses me, so it may calm down over Easter while I'm here. But it's worse. She also said once she starts on foods, she should sleep better. But that's assuming baby is waking hungry, right? What about waking for comfort?

A different HV suggested we place a firm hand on baby's chest when putting her back down and only picking her up when she cries a lot. For a while, this worked well. And it often still does. More recently, I'm sitting beside the cot for nearly an hour with my hand on her chest while she thrashes around or keeps waking when she realises where she is. And when she gets so distressed, I pick her back up and try again. I try to wait a bit before picking her up but I don't believe in CIO.

My partner struggles to help on a night as he gets so frustrated and angry, which leads to us arguing. So we agreed I would do nights - it was just easier than passing baby back and forth and us shouting at each other. We don't have any one else - it's just us.

She's working on crawling at the moment and I know new skills impact sleep, but again - what if this doesn't correct itself once she's mastered crawling? I can't cope if this is going to be for much longer.
I have friends with 1 year olds who still don't sleep now and they talk like that's normal. No - I don't want to accept that. I want her to sleep in her cot at night. And I want to sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time.

Last week, she slept for 5 hours in one go (it went pear-shaped after that though) so I know she can do it. She's just not had very many nights like that since 4 months. I'm just so sleep deprived and it's getting me down.

If you made it this far, well done and thank you!

Supportive, practical suggestions only please. I don't need any judgemental comments or to be told I'm doing things wrong. I'm beating myself up and feeling like a failure as it is.

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• Options
    Hi @MissEnglishTeacher firstly i want to say welldone as lack of sleep is the worst. Theres no judgement or useless comments here  i have 5 children and all were very different sleepers. What i have found with each is what works best for you, what gets you the best nights sleep for you and your baby. Your baby is breastfed and you are her comfort, for when shes hungry,tired,scared,cold,poorly. At 6 months babies start to get all these new feelings and emotions so they start to get upset if mum leaves the room or they meet new people they get upset so your their reassurance so i think this is the same as her going in her cot. It is i phase i can assure you, i dealt with it differently with them all as its what worked with us a family. My now 3 year old came into bed with us as she used to get very upset and she was my first breastfed aswell. So id have a night time routine with her and she would always go down in her cot but then when she woukd wake upset id bring her in with us as she slept and we slept and that worked for us and gave us the sleep we needed. Can i ask is her cot in her own room or yours? Just dont over stress, theres no wrongs or rights and no ones negative opinion matters.your doing your best, these years go fast and like we said with number 4 she wont be in our bed forever and we will look back on these days and miss them. Shes now 3 and loves her own bed. Xxx
  • Options
    hey it is a phrase its only coz she feels safe and secure but i have a suggestion have you tried getting one of you tops or a blanket that smells like you if you try wrapping her up with it she can still smell you near her maybe get a small blanket and put it on ur chest for a while she will smell you and the milk on there and makes them think tour still snuggled up honestly xx
  • Options
    Hi @Mummytofour thank you for your comments and support - really needed those words of encouragement. She sleeps in our room as (what will be) her room is downstairs while we're upstairs. The thought of trudging back and forth that distance this many times in the night makes me shudder! So for now, she's still in with us.

Hi @Rachel158 thank you for your suggestion - I'll try anything! Did it work for you? Can I ask...how do I give her something and the cot still be safe? Could I tie it to the side of the cot so she doesn't pull it over her face?

Thank again ladies x
  • Options
    yes it does work she will be able to smell u on it id use one of her blankets you can try swaddle her with it wrap it around her so she feels like she cuddled into you xx
  • Options
    Because she's rolling and sitting up we can't swaddle any more, sadly. I'm tempted to rub a fresh cot sheet all over me so I can change her bedding today and hopefully that will smell of me enough so she might sleep tonight!

Sorry if I'm overthinking it but I don't know how I would put something else in the cot without it being a suffocation risk. I'm petite so my clothes aren't big enough to wrap around the mattress (suggested by HV). Would I tie it to the bars?
  • Options
    even like a little security blanket for her to hold with ur sent on it as long as she can smell you it be like shes near you still put her little blanket down ur top 4 a while my little one has her favourite she calls them diddys instead of blankys ans she has a really fluffy jumper of mine she carrys it everywhere she calls them ones fluffies my nethews have there mums silk top cut up into squares they call them there silkies xxx
  • Options
    Hi. So I've tried the blanket smelling of me and I'm still having a nightmare (not literally though, because that would mean I'm getting some sleep!)

She's finally crawled and last night (Sunday night) was a better night. She spent most of her night in the cot despite frequent wakings. But she slept in her cot! Tonight, she's been in for an hour and is now refusing again. Thought we might be gettung somewhere!

HV said this is a side effect of successful breastfeeding. While that's lovely to hear, I won't just accept that this is normal.

My partner is all ready for us to just leave her to cry. He wants me to sleep in another room so he can just leave her screaming. I can't do it! I won't sleep knowing her heart is breaking upstairs. I'm back at work in the morning and have so far had 20 minutes sleep!
  • Options
    its a case of not giving in at the moment keep going in to try settle her dont but lights on no eye contact at night just lots of shhh shhus and i hum to mine spooth there head and face gently u have to keep trying or she will know she get her own way i dont leave um crying either its is hard jyst keep trying men annoying when they say stuff like that xx
  • Options
    I know you're right. I just need to be persistent with it and not give in. I'm trying so hard. We have had some better (but not amazing) nights where she's slept for maybe 3 hours in one go. Tonight is not one of them! Hopefully by sticking to it and not quitting, we will eventually win.
  • Options
    some children are like it tho mind she hopefully get better as she older there all diffrent it can be a atatchment thing 1 of my little ones liked to be stuck to my hip all the time others would be off and another was a cry baby all the time lol good luck hun hope uvget some decent sleep soon xx
  • Options
    She's got worse! Watching time pass by from 10pm - 4am every night is killing me. Yes, she's now waking up fully around 10pm ish and just refusing to be put back in her cot after then. 10pm! If I'm lucky, I'll have had an hour's sleep. I'm trying not to feed her back to sleep for the sake of it. But she just screams her heart out when I put her back down. And even if she does go back to sleep, she wakes an hour later and sits bolt upright, screaming again. I really can't cope with just an hour of sleep at a time.

By 4am, I'm lucky if I've managed 3 hours in total. I'm going to bed at 8:30pm! My partner and I have no time together and it's really taking its toll there too. Anyway, he's been taking over at 4am ish so I can get another 2 hours before my alarm goes and I have to get up for work. I just know I'm going to end up falling asleep driving to work one morning. When he goes back to work in July, he won't be able to do that as his job is driving.

How has it got this bad? Was struggling with the 1-4am refusal to go in the cot. Now it's 10pm-4am! Every night. Not sure how much longer I can take this before I have a breakdown.
  • Options
    oh god hun i would give her bottle of milk back to sleep hun i used to with mine as they are expected to still wake up a bit at 6 months have u got health vistor maybe ask her and tell her bout it u must be tired xx
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2019 1:20PM

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines