Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

head banging

hi ladies, i wonder if u can help...ds isn't one for big tantrums as such, but he's developed this thing where if he's in a bad mood/over tired and gets told off/told no, he bangs his head on the floor/wall, sometimes just once, sometimes several times, and sometimes he does it really hard, i try to ignore it in hope that as he's not getting a reaction he'll stop, but it's been going on for months now, and of course if he does it really hard i just can't ignore it as it's so hard that i need to check he's ok and tell him not to do that...he used to do it, ages ago, but ignnored it and after a couple of weeks he stopped, but since we moved house in novemeber he started again, and don't think it's been helped with the arrival of his sister in december :cry:

any ideas to get him to stop, as i'm worried that's gonna do some real damage to himself

thanks xx

Austin 23months, Phoebe 10weeks

Replies

• Options
    Charlotte (23 months) does this too and has done for several months. For the most part I try to ignore her as I know its just frustration and attention seeking but if she goes too far then I pick her up and hold her on my lap or move her to the rug where her head has a softer landing !

It could be his sister arriving which has made him do this, I would try to ignore the headbanging and once he stops give him lots of attention/distraction so he learns that he wont get attention from banging his head.