Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

bed time battles

Hello im new to the site i need advice on how to get my 4 year old daughter to go to bed with out a fuss she goes to pre school in the afternoon and andi kkeep her bizzy after school thinking that she will go to bed with out a fuss when it gets to bed time she starts playing up and back chatting being rude im at the end of my tether i desperately need HELP

Replies

• Options

Hey browneyes, sorry your dd is giving you a hard time - i've been there!

So to check, she's not napping right now in the day?

Also, what time is she up in the mornings and what time do you try and get her to bed by?

Have you tried sticker reward charts? What's your nighttime routine like, and what time is she fighting you to get to bed by (i mean what time is she actually going to sleep).

Let me know and see if we can figure out what to do (i'm totally not a sleep expert, but can only go by what i've been through with my girl - she's nearly 6 now)

• Options

Hello my daughter don't have naps during the day we put her down at 7.30pm and she finaly goes to sleep about 8.30 or 9pm we have tryed reward charts but they dont work she has bath at 7pm we put her brother at 7.30pm he goes to sleep straightaway with a bottle of milk then me and my daughter lay down and start reading a book and that when it all starts she gets up rude laughs and backchats

• Options

Hello.

I know it sounds weird, but she might be overtired by 7.30 - maybe try starting the night time routine bath/story business at 6.30pm and try and get her in bed earlier by 7pm

Also, try moving the story to your bedroom, then you take her to her bed, cause she's all comfy with her mum being in bed with her, so if you go from one location to another it might help.

When she starts back chatting and being rude, do you give warnings - like if this carries on, you will lose tv time?

Finally, try the reward chart again - promise her if she gets 7 stars on her chart going to bed like a good girl, she will get a toy?

Also, try not to let her watch any tele or play games on the ipad (if you have one) after 6pm - it can really over stimulate her.

Let us know how you get on.

• Options

I will give that a try thank you for your help xx

• Options

hi. I just wanted to agree with what Mrsg has suggested. They are all the things I'd start doing too. 

My 3.5 yr old is in the bath by 6.15, dried, dressed and in bed by 6.45 I read her a story and sing some nursery rhymes. Once I've done that she knows it's time for me to go downstairs. x

• Options

Thank you all for you advice she now falls asleep between 7.30 to 8 pm x

Thank you xx