Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

2 year sleep regression?

My daughter turns 2 next week, she has always been a fantastic sleeper, we've been so lucky! She's had the same bedtime routine always - story, bath, put into cot with her milk, kisses & goodnight & she would drink her milk alone & fall asleep. 2 weeks ago she suddenly started screaming at bedtime, absolute meltdowns when I try and leave the room. This would go on for 1-2 hours & i'd end up having to sit in there til she fell asleep. Last week we tried a new method of leaving the door open & putting some music on which she responded well to to begin with - I thought we'd cracked it! But tonight she has regressed back again to full on screaming and crying! I ended up having to stand outside her door so she could see me til she fell asleep. I'm at my wits end & feel lost at what to do now. We can't leave her to cry it out because she screams so much she makes herself sick. I'm so stressed with it & dread bedtimes! Please someone tell me this is normal at this age & the phase will pass! And hopefully soon!! 

Replies

• Options

Hi Laura, Yes liklihood is, it is a phase, though while you're living through them, they're the worst.

Has anything changed for your daughter? Like a big change, like has she started nursery, has she got big back teeth coming through, is anything out of the ordinary?

Also, how is she doing at nap times - i've had a mare with my almost two year old of late - she's been having 1 hour nap from 1 until 2, going to bed at 7, but basically chatting/singing/crying for at least 45mins before finally going to sleep (and my husband and i having to go up to her room at least 5 times).

We moved her nap from 12.30 until 1.30 and she's going down much easier now - so maybe play with her afternoon nap. Can she even make it thought the day without one, making her exhausted before bed?

It's so hard, and she could just be feeling separation anxiety, but it will pass.

• Options

Hi Mrsg14 thanks for your reply! 

There are no major changes I can think of! She may be teething but she has been brilliant with teething & barely makes a fuss so it's hard to know. 

We did think of mixing the nap up. She has also always napped from 1 - 2pm, I've tried getting her down earlier but she proves difficult. Actually she's been screaming at nap times too lately. We tried removing her nap but that was a no go, she was falling asleep at 4pm or 5pm when we done that. Today I actually got her to nap from half 12, she goes to bed at 8pm, she's still awake now, we've had a few tears but now she seems to be entertaining herself. I thought she would be exhausted tonight! 

I feel I may just have to ride this out & pray the phase passes soon! She's also been waking screaming at around 2am or 3am these past few nights which is totally not like her! 

• Options

So did she sleep 12.30 until 1.30 then? I'm finding having my girl up by 1.45 latest is defo helping.

Also what time you putting your lg to bed? i would aim for 7pm as by 8pm she may be overtired which is why she's acting up.

My little girl wakes during the night - sometimes 3 times, sometimes not at all, but i shove some water in her mouth and she normally goes straight back down.

Keep me posted but i defo reckon aim for 7pm bedtime.

• Options

She slept from about 12:30 - 1:15 today. 

Her bedtime routine has generally always been bed at 8 - 8:30. It's very difficult for us to bring it forward anymore than that due to days I work etc & by the time we're home, had dinner. She generally sleeps from 8:30pm - 8am or 8:30 am. I also totally do not think she would be ready for bed at 7pm. Unless she's completely missed her nap that day. 

Tonight was definitely a better night. She was asleep before 8:30. I only had to ask her to lie down once & after a few tears she did. 

When she does wake in the night she's very easy to settle again - usually asks for a drink & music on & then she lies until she falls asleep so least that's something