Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

High pitched screaming and pulling at mouth

good morning, my 2 year old 3 in sep only does this high pitched screaming when i come home from work, it starts when ill say no or his dad says he can't have something, he will scream its so high i don't know what to do when he does it, i feel helpless. he will also pull at his mouth, and has recently started to smack me which is very worrying as he is a well tempered fun loving boy, the odd thing is he only does it when i come home, not with his dad. my partner looks after our son while i work and i have noticed the change in behaviour only towards me. is it due to separation? my partner describes it as an emotional bomb as soon as i walk through the door. cass also pulls at my top a lot i did breastfeed him until he was 1 1/2. i have tried all the tricks, getting on his level and comforting him but he will just lash out at me the he can't get what he wants, ant advise would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Options

Help!  I know you are hoping I'm going to come through with some fix after a few...but I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM with a 21 mth ild girl whose pitch is no joke, shell shocking , insane! Mother's have told me just ignore it. AFTER THEY have a taste of it they see...there is no ignoring. Im going to have a break down! She is spook happy, and literally OVERNIGHT this scream has become debilitating. ..she does not like cartoons or any tv. And wants Constant attention. Ahhhh. Plllease helpme/ us...it's taking a toll! ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT!

• Options
    Try to spend more time with him when you are at home. Do special little things together. And most importantly developed a positive routine for when you come home.

I.e you -walk in and undress
    - calmly talk about your day while walking with him to the kitchen 
    -let him decide what's for dinner and cook together etc. 

Somewhere in his subconscious mind he misses you and as soon as you're back his brain is like "omg where were you life is SO BAD OMG" 
    you have to get his brain to go from that to mom comes home =super fun quality time