Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

PLEASE HELP my 3 year old and 4 year old are uncontrollable

I'm a young single mother of 2 and I feel like no matter how many reward charts, time out, positive enforcement, I do my son dose'nt listen to me.

my daughter shouts and is very hyper and disruptive and attention seeking and they both, mainly my son, runs off. he has a harness but he's had harness since he's been 2 and always tris to run off.

I feel like everyone is looking at me in public places, as when we go shopping they shout scream, throw things, despite me getting them to join in the shopping, choosing and picking things out for me.

they are so disobedient it's unbelievable even my friend is always saying you need to discapline them Wich I am and nothing is working. my son was going to see his dad and learnt certain swear words which he will not stop saying now wether I ignore him or tell him off about it. nothing is working and im feeling like such a failure as a mum 

Replies

• Options

First of all let me give you a virtual hug ! 

You are not failing!  I can tell just by reading on here that you care about your children so very much . Second thing toddlers are a holes LOL there's actually a book called that I recommend you download it or buy it and read it, it is laugh out loud funny and has helped me destress a little bit and learn that certain behaviors are just normal toddler behaviors it's just that some of us mom seem to have it worse than others.  I have one-year-old twin girls and a four-year-old son my four-year-old son has days of just being downright awful he swears learned it from his uncles on his father side he hits he throws things he back talks and just flat out does everything he knows he's not supposed to do we have done just about everything for punishment taking things away timeouts  sitting down and calmly talking to him reading hin books about behavior making sure he's getting plenty of exercises socializing him with other children everything and yet his attitude does not change.  My mother-in-law said that one of her three boys was exactly like this and it is an unfortunate stage that they just outgrow but in the meantime you just need to keep doing what you do make sure they know it is unacceptable and remain firm .  I was also found that following through and using the same form of punishment each time is more effective for example my son has a tablet that he loves to use every day if he does something bad that he knows it's wrong that I've already corrected him on I take his tablet time away and he knows whenever he does that he's going to get his tablet taken away another example timeouts if he's too rough of his twin sisters he knows he's getting sent to his timeout chair every time as far as shouting in stores this may seem harsh and hard to do but try to remove them from the situation even if you have to drag them out under your arm then set them in the car buckled them in their car seats and tell them you're not going back in the store until they calm down even if it takes 20 minutes and if they still don't behave then just turn around and go home obviously if you need some essentials just quickly get them and go home  start telling them you will not take them anywhere including park or any play areas until they straighten up  this may be harder for your younger one to understand but your four-year-old will get the point hang in there four seems to be a very rough stage for us as well