Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

17 mth old tantrums

what do you do when your little one throws a tantrum when they dont get their own way?

Replies

• Options
    Completely ignore them! Neve has just started throwing herself on the floor when she doesn't get her own way and I am trying to ignore it as best I can, when she is over the main part of it I distract her with something else.
  • Options
    When Lydia starts to paddy we lay her in the middle of the floor and leave her to it. She soon gets the message and usually calm down.
  • Options
    Hi Benjamin has just turned 17mths and when he has tantrums i do try to ignore them..i usually walk away from him and then when hes calmed down he usually comes walking up like nothing happened!
    If hes having one because i took something off him,in which case he will look for things to throw..i take him into middle of floor and leave him there!I think ignorance really IS bliss in this case lol
  • Options
    i also ignore Lennon,he will lash out or throw things but i either put him on the other couch and leave him 2 it or just keep putting him back down on the floor,its had but worth it,if you play to it them they start thinking 'oh i get a reaction' lol
  • Options
    copy him, he laughs and forgets about what he was doing lol - like that advert, obviously i dont do it in public lol
  • Options
    I usually ignore her,but if she starts hitting herself or banging her head on the floor she gets told off.
  • Options
    I'm a bad mummy coz I just laugh at him, he looks so funny with his little fists clenched in rage and his face goes all red, I have to say me laughing at him doesnt really help the situation at all, it justs makes him madder. If he starts to hit or pinch then I just say no loudly and firmly and sit him down, eventually he gets the message.
  • Options
    Gosh we though we were the only one's.. Erin is 17mnths and is that naughty child you see in the supermarket and thank god theyre not yours!!! We have just been ignoring her, and hoping she stops. When she throws thing i get down to her level and say NO, THATS NAUGHTY! Then she throws herself on the floor. I would just ignore her altogether but she has just missed hitting baby Joe with a few things recently.
  • Options
    Trust me you are not alone! My 16 month old is getting very independent and can get quite frustrated at times. I actually find he's quite well behaved at home and a tantrum normally comes from me stopping him pressing buttons on the phone/TV etc. If he throws one at home I will get down to his level and tell him 'no' and he will throw himself down and kick and scream but if i ignore it, it fizzles out in a few seconds.

In public is another matter, I find you can't really ignore it as other people are watching which gives him the audience he craves and if he's being disruptive it's not fair on others. He is better behaved at toddler groups where he can run around and burn off steam but anything where he has to sit still like his music class all hell will break loose! He will do anything naughty to get attention, and not things you can ignore, for example snatching off other children and trying to bite. Then if i calmly take him away from it and tell him no he will clench his fists and scream for MINUTES (seems like hours!) and go bright red. It is so embarassing and the only way to resolve it is to take him out of the group. So I waste my money on the group and spend some of the session outside, which he thinks is funny anyway. But the problem with this age group is you can't really use the naughty step or reason with them.

If anyone has any tips for me I would really appreciate it. I stay calm and resolve the situations but he seems to love doing it in public and it can be frustrating!

Amy. x
  • Options
    He is better behaved at toddler groups where he can run around and burn off steam but anything where he has to sit still like his music class all hell will break loose!

I would say he is probably too young to go to groups where he is expected to sit still for long periods of time.

Save your money & take him to the park instead. He sounds like he has a lot of energy & being forced to stay still is not suiting him so just give up that kind of group till he is older & less inclined to get bored so quickly. image
  • Options
    Shea and I started a music group when he was 2months old and he loved it until he could walk at 11months then it became a nightmare!! All he wanted to do was walk around, interefere with peoples handbags and generally be a pain, so we stopped going and now we go to a toddler soft play area centre and he's much happier!!
  • Options
    Sonny has the odd paddy but not as bad as a couple of months ago, he is much better in control of his emotions now.

A tantrum in toddlers is just frustration, they can't properly express themselves so can only do the tantrum thing, I too laugh if I know it is him just being silly cause he wants soemthign he can't have or I have taken something away. I also use distraction when this happens, he wants my phone but i give him a useless remote instead.

Sometimes it is real frustration due to not being able to do something or he can't undertsand something, these are the worst imo as it is just general growing pains so I just get down to his level & give him a hug till he calms down. usually I find when they are in a total state they just don't know how to get out of it, so a hug lets them know it is ok to calm down.

Othertimes he is just doing the attention seeking paddy thing & these I just leave him to it & he lays on the floor, jacks his body, kicks out with is legs & generally acts like a tit but after a few minutes figures out that I am not looking at him & gets up & goes to play image

You just have to play it by ear & soon figure out what kid of paddy it is going to be & react accordingly & every kid willr eact differently too.

Nightmare isn't it image