Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Grandparent bringing up grandchild

After bringing up 7 children my husband and I now find ourselves bringing up our 3 year old grandchild. One problem I find is that it's a very lonely situation to be in as our friends are all at the stage in life where they aren't really interested in a lively toddler. I've found lots of online groups in the US but nothing in the Uk and wonder if there are any other grandparents in the same situation out there who would like to cointact me and share experiences.

Replies

• Options

hi maud

have you tried the childrens sure start centrre. there is lots of them about and they are free. The one by me offers a grandparent and grandchild only session. but the grandparent our welcome to attend any of the other sessions aswell. we have a few in our centre that come along. There is a wide range of age's as well so you wouldnt have to worry about it all being young mums.

follow the link below and search for one. they are great centres and they have helped with the post natal and breast feeding. My dad takes the girls to the grandparents only session. hes made up because Im not allowed to go, haha

http://www.surestart.gov.uk/_img/map.gif

• Options

Hi Maud

Firstly welcome to pp. Im Emma mum to riley 4yrs old. After being a temp foster mum to my niece(2 in may), my mum now has full custody of her and is bringing her up alongside my brother(her dad(long story) My mum also has 6 of us about. With my brother being at home to lend a helping hand my mum still has some her time. She recently joined facebook to catch up on old friends. As we are all not far away from them we are able to help out as well.

With every circumstance being different would you not be able to ask your other children to help out with baby sitting so that you could meet up with your friends once in a while(sorry if that sounds silly)

Like Linz has already said sure start are great for welcoming and parent/carer to the stay and play's and the creche,they also have a support team for many parent/carer situations.

All the best and hope your able to find what your looking for but we are all here for chats if needed.

• Options
    Ive just become temporary carer to my 4 year old granddaughter at the age of 60. Although I love her dearly Im so worried about bringing her up and feel really isolated as I have no babysitters. I gave up a job I was really happy in and have virtually no income although social services are trying to sort this out for me.

I seem to spend most of my time crying and life has lost its purpose for me. All I see is a long stretch of child rearing in front of me when I thought all that was behind me.
  • Options
    Totally agree with checking out your local sure start centre, and also your local library as they do free singing and reading groups for under 5's and toddlers.  xx
  • Options

Hi Maud and Linda,,

I am also a grandparent bringing up my grandaughter who is now 20 months old, I have had her in my care since she was 11 weeks old. I have found it really hard as I had my family young and just qualified as a registered nurse 1 year prior to taking on my grandaughter. I thought i had the rest of my life mapped out and it certainly didn't include taking on a baby at 11 weeks old. The child is my son's and both he and the mother were not in any fit state to look after them selves, let alone a baby. I am on my own with 2 wee dogs and had to drop my hours to part time which has a huge impact on my financial affairs and the lack of sleep and time to myself. I feel so isolated and down at times that I often sit and have a good cry to myself as at times I feel I cannot cope. I love my wee grandaughter to bits but she is a handful and is constanly on the go, she goes to the nursery 3 days a week and it is a struggle rushing around in the morning to get her ready and see to myself. I am 50 years old soon, although under the circumstances I feel 80 years old ha, ha. its good to know they are other grandparents out there feeling the same as myself and deep down know we are doing a great job preventing our grandaughters/grandsons from going into care with strangers.

• Options
    Liz - you sound like you are doing a fab job.  Your grandaughter will love you for it when she grows up and realises what sacrifices you made.  You should be proud.  xxx
  • Options

hi y name is karen

i am bringing up my granddaughter she is almost 8 years now she is my sons child its been hard i am 57 years old now we have been in and out of court since she was born and now her mum is not allowed to see her its been hard but i could never imagin life without her and yes i to wanted to do things now my 5 kids are grown up but 1 day she will hopefully thank us as i did my nana god bless nanas i could not bare the fact of her going into care with no hugs no love and the so chin up life has a habit of throwing dirt at us your doing a good job 

• Options

hi my name is linda  my grandaughter is 8 years old and lost her mum through illness 18 months ago, she has lived with her father (my son) and his partner and their 2 young daughters since then, unfortunately my sons partner seems to resent my grandaughter, and a few times has refused to look  after her. on tuesdays i pick her up from school and take her to a dance class. this week after her dance class my sons partner refused to have her back,  so she has stayed with me. i have had to reduce my hours at  work and so will work week ends only. i know its only been 4 days but i cant see things getting any better. i also live in sheltered acommadation (i am 61) so will have to move if things are not resolved.p.s my son does all he can to help i wouldnt let him give up work at age 30.