Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sharing a Room - Have I made big mistake?

I have two girls, aged 2 and 4. They have been in separate rooms until 3 weeks ago when we redecorated 4 yr old's room and put them in together. They usually get on well together and play well together so thought it would be a nice idea. 4 yr old always been good at going to bed, 2 yr old resists bed time and take a while to settle.
We took the opportunity of changing 2 yr old's cot bed into a bed during the move so she can now get in and out. Since they have been in together she wont stay in bed and just gets up to play as soon as we leave the room. She encourages the 4 yr old to join in and mayhem ensues. The only way they would settle was for me stand like a sentry guard in their room until asleep, which I hate doing. The last couple of nights we have tried putting 2 yr old down first and sneaking 4 yr old into bed a little later which seems to settle them better. However, last night 2 yr old was wide awake at 2.00 am and wanted to play, so they were both wide awake and playing until gone 3 in the morning, when I gave up trying to get them to go to sleep and just left them to it. I expected them to sleep in late this morning after their nighttime romp, but they were wide awake again at 5.30 (they usually get up around 7.00).
Have I done the right thing putting them in together or should I call it a day and move little one back into her own room? 4 yr old starting full time school in September so will need her sleep.

Replies

• Options
    id give it a little while, it takes a while for the novelty to wear off. When we put our 2yr old in a bed, hed get up and play for too long, now he plays for a few minutes and goes back to bed, i understand the starting school is and added worry as she will need her sleep, i think after a while sharing a room would benefit them sleeping well but thats just my opinion! Hope things settle down soon xxx
  • Options

I had the same problem but my girls aged 3 yrs and 23mths seem to have adjusted to it now.  It took about 6 weeks and I had to sit in their room to start  with then gradually went to a different room and kept popping back in but they now know if they get up and leave the room (except for toilet) they will immediately be sent back and we don't talk to them.

I also found out by accident that taking them up 1/2 hour before bedtime and letting them have that time to play in their room and read their books before lights out worked brilliantly for stopping them getting up later on to play.

Good luck xx

• Options

All of ours have shared at some point.We've had  five sharing in our old house.We now have the four girls sharing.There's lots of messing about at times.If  my two year old sleeps too long/late in the day,she'll mess about.Same with my one year old.Thr trick for me has been getting the two year old asleep,she's the one who'll get up and get the others  up.If I can get her in first we're okay.

Story works to a certain extent.

I genleave them to it.I check on them a couple of times,do the GET BACK TO BED NOW cross Mummy thing a couple of times,but it all seems to go quiet once it gets dark,usually.

Hopefully the novelty wears off soon

• Options
    ours are at this moment bouncing off the walls, i just ignor them and they stop at some point. As long as they stay in their room and dont make a mess (if they do then its no play time next day until they have helped tidy it) then I just leave them to it. usually by 8.30 they give up and go to sleep. I put mine to bed at 7 knowing they wont sleep straight away. i prob not doing things the "right way" but as long as i get some peace i no longer care! image
  • Options

Oh don't give up just yet. I'm sure it is a novelty,perhaps take them up for a lil play before bed,but I'm sure your eldest will be tired after school and WANT her sleep,maybe that will calm youngest down?

Ours share,have done for ages and we have the odd night of messing,but as Jo and Linz have said I do 'leave them to it' to a certain extent.Our eldest usually talks to himself for a while after LO falls asleep.

Good luck with whatever you decide but I'm sure things will get better x

• Options
    I don't think you have any option but leave them to it for a little while when they share, otherwise they never learn!  We had 30mins of them singing tonight before the youngest shouted shut up and went straight to sleep.
  • Options
    aww lol! im moving my two in together soon, i am honest, ah its hard to let go! Babysitting my baby brother monday so hes testing the water in the cot in there for me, if all hell breaks loose lolas staying with me!
  • Options

I'm worried bout when Tom doesn't need a nap-Jc needs Tom there to settle?? Well I think he does,I'm guessing if he's that tired he'll sleep! That's the other downside to sharing when theryr'e at nap stage.

I bet everyone with over 3 have to have them share-unless your Brad and Ange obviously!!!!!

• Options

We have four sharing ,but two have their own room.Arthur will be sharing when I put Merlin in there,the cots there already.I'm a bit hesitant cos our rooms in the attic,being on a different floor seems a long way.

Once your kids are sharing it's just normal.I found having my own room when I left home very strange.Lonely in fact.We used to have long girly chats into the wee hours,I expect the boys did too,stuff you can't chat about in front of your Mum

I'm sure Jc will get used to naps alone,Rachel,like you say,if he's tired he'll sleep.

• Options

lola always has an hour before jack goes to sleep anyway, (she has 2-3 in all) if im honest cuz he plays before i nap i may keep naps in my room in the travel cot as jacks naps will end soon i think and since lolas such a tough one to crack it will be easier that way