Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

HELP Toddler obsessed with throwing

my ds is 16 months and as the title suggests, is obsessed with throwing. It is mainly centered around balls which he honestly cannot get enough of. He seems fascinated!

Trouble is, he will throw anything, not in a naughty way, but in a playing way.

I get all manner of toys lobbed over the kitchen safety gate, anything loose in bedroom goes down the stairs, all sorts end up in the bath!

Now the thing is, if you watch, he genuinely isn't being naughty and i have refused up until now to reprimand him for doing so - I hate the thought of him being told off for something he hasn't done as it takes the impact off when it really matters.

I have a particular problem at toddler group because he chucks stuff around and has hit one baby and a mother already. Now the baby was in a spot she shouldn't have been in surrounded by balls so i apologised but let it go, I warned the mother who got hit last time before it even happened and feel awful about it! The sure start lady told me he is just in a play pattern and it's normal and not to stop it, but quite frankly, i'm not sure i can stand it much longer!

He is stood next to me good as gold throwing his soft ball to the other side of the room and going to fetch it again, over and over as we speak!!!

All other development is fine and his aim is amazing! He is very well behaved other than this and very caring towards others.

HELP???

Replies

• Options
    Can't really help but my 15 month old DD likes throwing stuff, especially into the bath - I had the Asda christmas gift guide thrown in with me when I was having a shower the other day.

I don't tell her off either as she doesn't understand why you can throw balls but not fisherprice telephones. I just try and explain to her it hurts if she throws things at people and do my best to stay vigilant at play groups!
  • Options
    When Peter was going through is throwing phase, we focussed on getting him to throw balls rather than anything else. So if he threw a brick, we said 'No, Peter, we throw balls, NOT bricks', took away the brick and handed him a ball. Then we moved on to throwing outside rather than inside, but he still throws his soft ball inside. It takes time and is extremely frustrating while it lasts, but they do learn. Peter throws a lot less and usually only balls. Now if he throws something he shouldn't, he gets told 'No, that hurts' or 'We don't throw' and he understands. But he is 21 months now.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Can't really help but just wanted to say your not alone. Everything my lo gets his hands on gets thrown over the stairgate and down the stairs! Or, as my clinique facewash, down the toilet. Or in the bath! Must just be a phase that i'm hoping he'll stop. He's had a firm 'NO' and told him the toilet is dirty (or in his language Yeuch) but not an actual telling off when he puts stuff in the toilet.

xx
  • Options
    Honestly, it really is a phase!! Louis is nearly 22 months and still throws things now and then but is distracted by other things now!

Could you get a new toy and possible put the balls to one side... maybe with Christmas coming, introduce a train set or a car set?

Good luck, maybe shout "heads up" as you walk into baby groups?! image xx
  • Options
    My dd does it too, will just throw stuff, pick it up & throw it again. Unless she throws actually at someone or one of the cats I don't tell her off. Its a learning phase & as she gets older & can understand more I'll teach her the "ground rules" of throwing.

She's nearly 21 months.