Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

food quantities?

my Son has just had his first birthday and i am concerned by the amount of food he eats. As an example, if i am spoon feeding, we are doing well if he accepts 8mouthfuls from a bowl of food. If its finger food, he will manage 1 fishfinger or chicken goujon-he doesnt like picking up wet foods or even chips or wedges etc! He seems to love snacky foods (organix crisps, breadsticks, slices of ham/cheese) but he never really eats much of anything! he weighs 22lbs (but has done since he was 7months old!) I mentioned it to HV but she just said that their weight gain does slow down which i accepted. The problem is i think i am creating a problem because when he starts to refuse his dinner, i then offer far too many yummy things (yoghurts, homemade muffins, biscuits, fruit etc) as i dont want him to go hungry! Now he is older, should i start being more disciplined and only offer him his main meal and a fruit pot or yoghurt and knock all the other nice things on the head?

I just worry that my little soldier will be hungry but at the same time i am very aware that they are clever little buggers and he knows that he wont be left with an empty tummy!

what are you wise ladies opinions?image

Replies

• Options
    My ds has always beena pretty good eater but did go through a short phase where he'd spit out his food and refuse it and i'd panic and give him toast with butter or other things i knew he liked. I thought it was because he'd been ill so let him off with it for a while but it kept going on so one night i tried him on his dinner and he spat it out so i picked him out the chair and told him he could eat his dinner or nothing and he chose nothing so he went to bed hungry and I kept it like that for the next few meals and soon he was back to normal.

Maybe your lo just doesnt have too big an appetite but it would be good to find out if you do cut out all treats or alternatives even for one meal. Its easier said than done though isn't it!

I didnt even offer my ds fruit as an alternative cos he loves it so much he'd live on just that!

Good luck, they're confusing little creatures at times!

xx
  • Options
    We are at the other end of the spectrum, my lo will eat literally everything in sight and I worry that I am over feeding her.

Lara did your dietician say that you cant overfeed them? Does that count for an older baby too?

My lo is 11 months, and as I said will eat literally everything, and when she's finished hers she then wants what someone else has got. She'll finish her meals in less than half the time it takes my 6 yr old. And if she sees you eating something she will cry until she gets some too!
  • Options
    Thanks for that Lara. I've always had trouble controlling my weight too so I always worry about going too much either way, i don't want to make too big a deal of it but i don't want to just ignore it either. I guess i'll make sure i keep it mostly healthy and let her work out her own appetite.