Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

One bed flat/house?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of having a baby in a one bed flat?

We are going to be TTc in a one bed next year.

I personally think it will be ok, its ground floor, own back door, enough room for large cot bed and storage and play pen etc, and nice grounds with park across the road!

but others (including my mum) dont think its a good idea. no one knows we are going to TTC but she has made comments about having a baby here before.

So what do people think? and any experiences?

Thanks is advance

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Personally for me we had to be stablish financially and in the home I wanted before we ttc'd. I had a 2 bedroom terrace house when we first got together but it was in quite a rough area and there was no way I wanted to bring up children in this area plus I did want more room in our house before we had a child too. So we waited until we bought our 3 bed in the suburbs with the good schools before we had our ds. but we were lucky in that we were able to afford to do it. that was 6years ago but now we wouldnt be able to afford a property here!!

You need to think of the practical side of things with a one bedroom place. I had to move my baby into his own room at 6 weeks as I couldn't settle with him in our room constantly listening to his breathing but you won't have that option, plus as lo gets older he / she could be still sharing bedroom with you and oh! Can you see anyway you can move to a larger place in the next couple of years? grond floor is good for pushchairs etc so thats a bonus.

All I can really say is that babies can bring a lot of stress and change onto couples and it could be quite challenging in a one bedroom place so if you are going to do it then make sure you get baby into a bedtime routine early in that lo goes to bed early so you two have some "you" time in the evenings in the living room.

good luck xxx
  • Options
    Personally I couldnt do it and mostly for selfish reasons. Firstly after having dd in our room for 5 months not only had she outgrown her moses but I just needed to get my own space back. I love cuddling up in bed with a dvd and couldnt do that with dd in there. Plus I always felt wrong to "do the deed" with her in there, and could never relax incase we woke her up. It really put a cramp in our sex life !

DD is a LOUD sleeper and she used to keep me awake aswell, plus as she got older and could stand and move around in her cot i think if we'd been sharing a room it would have been harder. We had to share a room when we went to the in-laws when she was around 17 months and it was awful as she could see us in there so if she did wake in the night, whereas usually she would settle herself to sleep this time she wanted to play with us !

Coming to bed at night, getting changed etc was tough even when she was young (hubby also worked shifts) and numerous times we accidentally woke her up coming to bed.

I think if its in the short term, maybe 12 months I guess its manageable but personally I couldnt do it. Kids bring so much stuff with them, toys, nappies, books etc that i'd quickly have found the place overcrowded.
  • Options
    truthfully we couldn't do it either...JJ went in his own room at 12-16weeks (can't remember exactly) as we were disturbing him just going to bed and sometimes we'd be up for a bit during the night just because one of us had coughed and frightened him! Also, there is absolutely no way any of us would have got any sleep once he went into a proper bed at 18 months...it'll be fine for the first few months though x
  • Options
    I know it is very unlikely but thought i'd throw something else into the mix and mention the twin thing!

I dont have any twins in the family, havent ever met anyone with twins and yet here I am with 14 month old id boys!

I know it isnt overly common but just thought I might mention it! We wouldnt be able to have them in with us as we dont have the room. They shared a cot till 15 weeks, then moved into their room as they couldnt be in the same cot anymore and we couldnt get them both in our room.
  • Options
    Hi herecomesthebride. We live a bigger than average 1 bed house and our daughter is now 16 months. I would say my husband I have only just now started finding it difficult and we will he renting our house out in the new year and renting a bigger house. Our bedroom is quote big and even though her cotbed is in there we still have plenty of room.

I would say if you feel comfortable then go for it as it is manageable. Obviously there are lots of pros and cons but for me the pros far out weigh the cons.

Xx
  • Options
    Well contrary to what everyone else has said I think it is totally do'able.

We fell pg very quickly just as housing market crashed. So although we tried to sell for ages we just couldn't.

We lived in a one bed, 3rd floor (no lift only stairs) flat until son was 7months old.

To be honest it was absolutely fine. We only moved eventually because i was going back to work and my mum, who helped with childcare couldn't carry lo up the stairs any longer.

i managed lo and pram up 3 flights of stairs for 7 months.

You learn to manage. And if anything we were more organised and more tightnit as a family unit because we were in such close quarters.

I'm not saying I don't like him being in his own room but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. We bought lots of travel versions of things that folded up and went into storage.

I probably couldn't go back to a one bed now, he's 2. and if I was going to ttc agian I'd want another room as not sure lo could cope sharing. So I guess my perspective has changed over time. But when he was a baby, it was absolutely fine.

Hope that helps. S x
  • Options
    Ahh we did it for 8 months. We signed in for a year on the old flat and I later found out I was expecting DS1.

Luckily, our bedroom was a really good size, so we had space for cot, clothing and other baby related bits!

At 8 months though when the tenancy was up, we discussed it, and decided our privacy was going to become an issue within another year or so. So we moved to a 2 bed.

Ground floor is a bonus, no lugging prams and carseats up flights of stairs!!

But yes, if your confident it will work, then ignore others!

Good luck xx
  • Options
    Hi

It is do'able but it can be hard at times. It depends how big your bedroom is and also how much your alone time means to you. We have a LO in with us and he is now 14 months and its starting to get hard now. We do have a big bedroom and he is a good sleeper. If i had the choice i wouldnt do it as i miss going up to my room and watching a DVD on my bed and chilling sometimes but if you are organised then it can work. xxxxx
  • Options
    I really think you will be desperate for your own space one baby is born, it's all very well having teh convenience of them in the same room if when you are feeding in the night but not so much fun for the person sleeping (if you are breastfeeding that will be oh!), also after a few weeks you need to have somewhere to sleep that is separate, with my 2 dds we moved them into their own rooms after a few weeks so that I could go and breastfeed them without disturbing my husband - he also took turns at going in with a bottle. allowing me to sleep too. Also it meant that I didn't wake up at the slightest noise (you will - even if they breathe loudly or sigh, you'll jump awake!), it was nice to have a separate room to have a cuddle etc (!) or watch a dvd or even sleep! I think you may be underestimating just how exhausted and desperate for some space you will be!
  • Options
    Slightly different situation but we lived with my parents after dd was born and there was only one room spare for us at that time so dd was in with us until she was about 15 months or something like that. At first it was quite handy I was bfing so didn't need to move too far but after a while we just needed our own space and to b able to put the light on etc when we went to bed, it was a relief when she did eventually move into her own room.

So I don't think its impossible but u might not wanna do it for too long. Good luck ttc x