Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

nursery not attached to school

the nursery i am going to take my son to is not attached to any school so they wont go from this one to the school and all no eachother, however he is down on list to start pre school at 3 that is attached to a school after. so i was thinking i would let him stay at this one till he is 3 then satrt the new one where he will saty or should i let him stay at this one that takes from 2-5 anyway then just go straight to school and make new friends? hope i have explained myself well. there is a possobilty of us moving in few years or less anyway so im not sure wether its a issue anyway. but i was always under impression at 5 kids will make friends anyway?

Replies

• Options
    Our intended nursery isnt attached to a school either, but there isnt a pre school either, so he will just have to make friends at school I guess! But I think I would rather he went to the pre school at 3 and made friends before school started; would be much less of a shock for him starting 'real' school if he already had friends, especially if a lot of the kiddies will be coming from the pre school anyway.
  • Options
    Due to my job at the time, the nursery that my son went to was about 15 miles from where he currently goes to school. He didn't know anyone when he started school and is now in year 1, really settled with a good bunch of friends. I'm now a SAHM mum again so DD's name is down for the nursery bit of the school that DS goes to, she'll start there in September. TBH I don't envisage her settling any better or worse than DS did. They make friends so easily at that age, have no pre conceptions about anything. We went to a play area tonight and within 10 minutes DS (5) had a new best friend whose name he didn't even know :lol: !!

Xx
  • Options
    My ds went to a nursery (not attached to a school) from 6 months but I also put his name down to pre school nursery when he was 18months old as that the school I want him to go to and its more convenient to home. last summer they called me and said he could start when he was 3 so I changed him last September to the school nursery and then he will now stay there until he moves to high school.

I changed him because I thought the transission would be easier at 3 than at 5, 4 1/2 years is a long time for them to spend with the same nursery staff, building strong attachments etc and then pulling them away to start school. Plus he never really made good friends at the previous nursery as they were far too young but he's now been at pre school nearly 4 months and has made a couple of close friends and starting to want them over to play at home with him and he even keeps telling me he's going to have a sleep over with Christian his best mate!!!! Hopefully he'll remain friends with these peers throughout school now