Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Imagination

Hello,

My little cherub is 2, coming up 2 half and recently he has been talking about "the scary thing".  

He spoke of it a while back but then didnt mention it for some time.  More recently he talks about it quite a lot, always when we are upstairs, he doesnt see it downstairs, but I can actually see him really looking at it,  The other night he woke up early hours for about an hour, next day I aske dhim why he woke, he said the scary thing woke him up. I asked him what it looked like he said it was small, yellow and like a dinosaur, when I said, its a dinosaur he said no like a dinosaur, very specific. Tonight he was more scared of it and came running to me saying it was coming upstairs again he described it in the same way, so it is quite real to him I feel.

He is also not going to bed very well any more, cries for sometime on ocassions but not sure if thats because he doesnt want to go to bed or if he is a little bit scared.

He watches the Gruffalo and we read it but he likes it, actually smiles at it, especially the mouse.  He sometimes says the big bad wolf is in there ( out of a book his nanny reads him) but doesnt mention this so much.  More the yellow thing.  I cant see it is this that scares him as the thing he describes is nothing like the Gruffalo.

I tell him that Alfie, our dog will not allow any scary things in the house, try to make a joke of it and say alfie would bite there bum.... but can anyone offer any advice on how to help him through this and  prevent it becoming too much of a thing for him.

Any advice, very much appeciated.

Replies

• Options

Erin used to see spiders that weren't there when she was about two.Also monsters in the dark.I used to have to turn on the light,search for spiders/monsters.She had a big teddy and we decided that big teddy would have the job of scaring away the monsters,cos big bears were scary to monsters.She also had a light right by her bed.She did grow out of it.

When you think of all the fantastic things they can dream up in their imagination,it's unfortunate but inevitable they'll come up with a few nasties too.The yellow thing could be from a dream,it might not even exist for real,but it's real to him.Maybe it followed him up the stairs cos it did in a dream.

Hope he gets over it soon

• Options

Aw poor Harry. Hope he grows out of this.

Tom has a night light,and he always dreams up alsorts! We did what your'e telling him,that the dog would get them! Sadly He's no longer with us,but the light seemed to work.

Have you tried what Jo suggested? I think hunting for him an hour before bed a good idea,showing all fine beforehand.

Hope he settles soon x

• Options

Hello,

yes I agree their imagination is a wonderful thing, just funny how I can see him really looking at "it" tonight it changed to a monster and he also talks about the big bad wolf!      He has night lights in his room so its not totally pitch black.

My childminder said it could be the most innocent thing as far as we are concerned but he could see it as scary, someone else has suggested the gruffalo is probably the problem with his yellow eyes and looking a bit like a dinosaur - I think I will stop him looking at the book and programme on tv for a bit, but we havent watched it for ages,

I was just really concerned about doing the right thing as if I dont could make things worse for him.

Everytime he mentions it I tell him there is nothing in our house, and that Alfie wouldnt let anything in our house just try and re assure him.  I hate leaving him on his own in his room now in case he is scared but I cant let him in my bed, martin would squash him and snores so flippin loud!

Hopefully he will learn that its harmless soon enough.

Thank you ladies. x

• Options
    hi at xmas time my daughter had a dream about a walkin lampost that chased her down the road, it really disrupted bedtime as she was so scared,after a week or two of  upset i looked for advice as telling her they didnt exsist and even if they did our dog (although hes a chihuahua) wouldnt let them in wasnt helping and then somone told me to try this...in the day time sit down with pens and paper and help her draw the walking lampost as friendly helpful ones that are really kind,we drew 4 lamposts,mum,dad  and two children and stuck them on her wall, they became a real positive image in her mind after that and she even played games in the day with her imagenary lampost friends. IT Helped so much and now the fears have gone. Maybe you could try the same ,draw the yellow thing, get your child to put as much imput into it as possible as only they no what it really looked like get him to give him a friendly face and maybe even doin somthing good and helpful. i really hoped this helps as i really can understand how hard it is, feelin so helpless when there so scared. good luck! x
  • Options
    HEllo
    Many thanks,
    Harry is too young to draw it himself but yes I could draw it with his guidance, I just hate him being afraid of something and not being able to help.
    SOme nights better than others, some times he talks about it and not so scary and other times he runs to me because its in my room or his room and he doesnt want to be in there on his own with it,
    Will give that a g
    Many thanks.