Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Question for anyone with toddler and baby?

Hi,

I have a 22 month old and I am due in June.

At the moment I work full time and my daughter is in nursery. I am very very excited about being a stay at home mummy for the forseable future from May onwards.

My question is for any of you with toddlers and babies. What is your daily routine like? (and when I say routine I don't mean rigid routine, as I know every day is different, I mean roughly how does it work out with naps and spending time with oldest child???) How often do you do 'events' with your toddler to keep their minds stimulated - do you sometimes have days at home or are you always doing something each day to entertain your eldest?

I will look forward to hearing how your days generally pan out!

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I have 20 months between DS1 (now 2.5) & DS2 (11 months).

We tried to keep DS1's routine the same as much as possible. He was at nursery 3 days a week whilst I worked so we kept him in but for shorter days.

When at home we fitted in 'messy play' activities whilst DS2 napped. DS1 has always liked puzzles & books so I would often do these activities with him whilst I was cuddling DS2.
  • Options
    Have to admit it is quite difficult but have found that DD2 (now 4 months) has had to fit in around DD1 (almost 3). Similar to Mummy 123 I've kept DD1 at childminders twice a week and playgroup one morning a week - and have to say both myself and DD2 take full advantage of the break!! When DD1 at home DD2 hardly naps but on a Mon & Tues she sleeps for 2 separate periods of 2 hrs (and 12 hrs at night!) - and I clean!!

When both are at home and DD2 does get chance to have a nap (I now put her in her own room with monitor on as was getting fed up of DD1 waking her) me & DD1 bake or play a game. When I'm feeding the baby DD2 will often bring a book & I'll read. Have to say she is incredibly patient about sharing Mummy and loves her little sister.

We've also arranged for Grannie to have DD2 one afternoon a week so I can take DD1 swimming - and I'll take DD2 while her sister's at childminders. So they both get equal opps!!! Have to say took DD1 swimming last week & it wasn't til then I realised jst how much easier it is with one!

Having said that it's lovely watching them together now DD2 is more active.

Hope that reassures a bit x