Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

2yr old suddenly waking very very early!

hi all, ds is 25months and up tim recently was a dream sleeper, 2hours in the day then going to bed at 8pm and waking between 8and9 am...however, the last three weeks he's decided that 5am is time to start the day (plus he's been waking every half hour from about 1am)...no idea why? or how to stop it?...he's really grouchy through out the day where he's so tired, we've tried dropping his nap, later to bed etc, but makes no difference...i'm getting desparate now as my 4months old is still feeding every 2hours through the night so i'm getting next to no sleep, but her i can deal with, cos she's waking for a feed so i know the reason, but ds, i can't fathom it, so i don't know how to fix it....any help greatly appreciated xxx

Replies

• Options
    I'm afraid I don't have any answers but just wanted to say that our 19 month old has been waking at 5.15am for a couple of months now. It just seems to be his normal wake up time. Very occasionally he will go back to sleep but it isn't often.

He has also started waking in the night and coming in to us. Again, like you we have no idea why. Luckily it isn't every half hour so I can only imagine how tired you are.

If you find an answer please let me know!

C.x
  • Options
    Could it be down to the 2yr molars? I've heard that they can cause sleep disruptions.

Riley did this though for couple of days the other week and I just refused to get up until 6am at the earliest so we just put him back to bed and he went back to sleep. He didn't like it too much though but like I say he got the picture after day 3 that this was not going to become his wake-up time! x
  • Options
    We've had the same recently. I think it's the lighter mornings which are having an effect. DS always slept til gone 7am but we've had some very early starts recently. Especially at my parents where they have less black out! He's been waking between 5am-6am sometimes.

Could also be 2nd year molars my DS (27 months) has just cut his first on the bottom and the others are coming through. We had a few rough nights. He tells me his mouth hurts and asks for 'purple' - calpol!! They seem to be causing him a lot of pain even during the day.

Sorry I don't have any solutions. Is it possible to make his room darker?? xx
  • Options
    thanks, could've been the molars...i've not noticed any come through, but i guess they cann come up/down a lot before they actually break thorugh...don't think it was lighter mornings as his room is blacked out and his room is really dark even at his afternoon nap (nad it doesn't get light at 1am lol, which is when it starts)...not keen to just let him wait until a reasonable time as he screams really loud! and obviously that would then wake up dd and i'd have two very grumpy and very tired lo's on my hands lol...last couple of dasy *touch wood* he's been back to 7/8am so hopefully it was just a blip or those pesky teeth! thanks again xx